Electrical issue?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtnMan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today I was riding my 1986 GL1200 Interstate in Rocky Mountain National Park, stopped to take some pictures coming down Trail Ridge Road.

Because I parked on a slightly downhill spot I put the bike in 1st gear when I parked it. When I wanted to leave I shifted into neutral and turned the ignition on. I noticed that only the red oil warning light came on, but not the neutral indicator. When I hit the starter button nothing happened.

I turned the ignition off, rolled the bike forward, turned the ignition on again and the usual indicator lights came on and the bike started as usual.

Of course, I was worried, being in the middle of nowhere not being able to start... :heat:

What could have caused this malfunction? Is it possible that the neutral switch is defective and did not allow me to start?

Thank you,
Armin

Sounds like it could be ignition switch contacts needing a cleaning.
Heck could be other things too like any number of loose connections in the wiring harness or fuse holders.
Have you tried duplicating it?

dan filipi":1of4pjtw said:
Sounds like it could be ignition switch contacts needing a cleaning.
Heck could be other things too like any number of loose connections in the wiring harness or fuse holders.
Have you tried duplicating it?

Thank you for your reply. I have not tried duplicating it yet, but I will, good idea! I will also go through all electrical connectors and clean them; I am sure there is room for improvement.

Armin

MtnMan":3nk7kntu said:
that is normal the neutral spot is not fully engaged and when you moved the bike it clicked in

Thank you! So...nothing to worry about? Can I do any preventive maintenance?

Armin
Agreed....you were not quite completely in neutral.

MtnMan":3frhjdf2 said:
that is normal the neutral spot is not fully engaged and when you moved the bike it clicked in

Armin
preventive maintenance for that particular issue is just to learn to hunt neutral again if it doesn't light first try. Electrically cleaning connectors and tightening them is always good. Liberal use of dielectric grease in the connectors will help them avoid corrosion.

mcgovern61":474j7q4l said:
MtnMan":474j7q4l said:

Armin
Agreed....you were not quite completely in neutral.

Wish I had a nickel for every time it happened to me - most of the time I reach down and pull it up into neutral by hand or if I do not have to back it up too far I start it in first gear (the neutral spot is so small Beave no hair around it jokes)

MtnMan":xrwepta1 said:
David Mantle":xrwepta1 said:
Did you pull in the clutch lever when you tried cranking?
Just a thought - hope it helps.

Yes, I did. Shouldn't it start with the clutch lever pulled, even when it is in gear?

Armin

Yes Armin it should start in gear with the clutch lever engaged even when it is in gear --- is it not doing that?

1060dsl":1ae20bzg said:
MtnMan":1ae20bzg said:
David Mantle":1ae20bzg said:
Did you pull in the clutch lever when you tried cranking?
Just a thought - hope it helps.

Yes, I did. Shouldn't it start with the clutch lever pulled, even when it is in gear?

Armin

Yes Armin it should start in gear with the clutch lever engaged even when it is in gear --- is it not doing that?

It normally starts when it is in gear with the clutch lever pulled.

When I had the starting issue it did not start after I put it in neutral. I was able to roll the bike forward but the neutral indicator light did not come on. I tried to start it with the clutch lever pulled (and - if I remember correctly - also without it being pulled) and the starter did not crank.

I will verify this when I ride again this weekend, will try it with and without clutch lever pulled, in gear and in neutral to see if I can reproduce this.

Thank you,
Armin