Engine noise and brakes

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldWrench

Supporting Member
Reaction score
:( I have a noise coming from the rear of the engine (close to transmission or clutch) It almost sounds like a rod knocking but only at idle. Bring the RPM up and it goes away. I first suspected the clutch but the clutch seems to work ok except at times it will rattle if I try taking off with too low of RPM. Clutch adjustment is a per the book.

Since I’m new to the 1100 I don’t know if this is normal or not, but it certainly don’t sound right. Now that I have tuned it up it runs really well and very strong. However the transmission seems a little rough going into gear at times. The engine has 88 thousand miles on it.

Also brake rotors are worn below minimums. Price for new rotors is outrageous. I ordered some used ones and plan on popping the rivets and machining new rotors, does anyone know if someone has done this before? What I’m looking for a is an automotive rotor I can machine to work. :builder:

I got to tell you guys I really love this bike even though it needs some work. :razz:

Attachments

• Goldwing2.jpg
    Goldwing2.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 216
Have you synced the carbs? When they are out even a little out of balance, the primary chain can really rattle! It mimmicks a rod knock at idle. Also, on the stator cover on the left side of the bike, the bolt has a habit of coming loose and making a rattle or light knocking sound.

You know I stated I tuned the bike, I guess that was only partially accurate. I need to get four vacuum gages and do that. You will notice the 80 on the right carbs are off of it. I’ve just rebuilt them and was thinking of putting them on the 83, reason being I see I think the carbs on the 83 are due to be rebuilt.

Thanks for the advice because I wasn’t aware out of synced carbs could cause that problem. Will also check the stator cover bolt.

Yeah, that stator bolt came loose on me a couple times out on the road, makes a hell of a racket mostly at idle. With higher rpms the loose bolt knock/rattle goes mostly away but you'll feel more engine vibration. I'd check that first but if it hasnt been synced or one of the idle jets are partially clogged the primary chain makes quite a racket too.

In Roady's most excellent valve adjustment Tutorial in this post in step 2 3rd and 4th picture he has pointers to the "rotor cover" then he has a wrench on the rotor bolt.
Have someone hold the rear brake with it in 4th gear and crank that puppy down.

dan filipi":3i8klyy5 said:
...and crank that puppy down...

Until just right before it snaps off.... :sensored:
:smilie_happy:
Sorry....I had to add that in. I haven't seen this particular terminology(crank that puppy down) in the service manual, tho...is that a metric puppy, or SAE?
I keep hearing about this bolt coming loose...I suppose I should check mine, too... :builder:

AApple":30et5ufn said:
dan filipi":30et5ufn said:
...and crank that puppy down...

Until just right before it snaps off.... :sensored:
Sorry....I had to add that in. I haven't seen this particular terminology(crank that puppy down) in the service manual, tho...is that a metric puppy, or SAE?
I keep hearing about this bolt coming loose...I suppose I should check mine, too... :builder:

Joel, that is when your wrist pops two clicks at about 21 ftlbs of pressure just before that puppy barks! :yahoo: :smilie_happy:

mcgovern61":3876bc8c said:
Joel, that is when your wrist pops two clicks at about 21 ftlbs of pressure just before that puppy barks! :yahoo: :smilie_happy:

Oh...otay...it makes sense now.... :mrgreen:
:smilie_happy: :clapping: :salute:

While tinkering with mine last summer, I noticed the cover/cap and the bolt were missing of my bike. I bought a replacement bolt off ebay, and a new cover/cap. When I tried to get the bolt into the cover, the flange on the bolt wouldn't fit through the hole, so I had to grind a little of the flange away to get it through the hole.

I don't know how the thing came out if the replacement bolt wouldn't fit back in.

The reason that stator bolt usually gets loose is that when using it to turn the engine over(during valve adjustment,ect.),somebody has turned it and the engine the wrong way around(dont do that),and unknowingly loosened it slightly.It then slowly but surely backs out till it hits the cover and makes terrible noise.Put a drop of lock-tight on it and torque to specs.