engine overhaul job

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shierh

Reaction score
Well I finished timing belt, water pump, cooling system restore, valve stem seal replacement etc. all parts that I took off were glass beaded and painted. all back to gether and then found electirical issue that I took care of quickly after stressing over it. She runs very nice.

Will pull left exhaust next and replace the shift seal and then re check valve adjustments.

I am using rotella 15/40 but plan to change to amsoil 20/50 same as in both Harleys. Manuel says 20/50 is fine above 40 degrees, not an issue in central FL.

Well thanks to all for the tips and support.

Good progress.

Just fyi, many including myself have starter clutch problems when running 20/50.
It being thicker on cold starts can prevent the clutch rollers from sliding out and engaging.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=116209#p116209:1jdnzrpr said:
dan filipi » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:35 am[/url]":1jdnzrpr]
Good progress.

Just fyi, many including myself have starter clutch problems when running 20/50.
It being thicker on cold starts can prevent the clutch rollers from sliding out and engaging.

What he said. The first time the starter spins and the starter clutch slips, you might want to re-think that 20/50 oil.

20/50 issue, thanks. Does it matter if its synthetic. I know synthetic flows better and possibly this may not be issue. I mean pure synthetic. Amsoil, mobile 1 etc.

My experience with synthetic in bikes is that if there is the tiniest weakness in a gasket it will seep through. The motor does seem to rev quicker than with dino oils. I'm running mobile 1 in my kz. It does have a few places where it seeps.

I run amsoil 20/50 mc oil in both harleys, sportster gets it in the crank and in the primary/trans sump. 30k miles on it and no issues.
Soft tail gets 20/50 in the crank, primary and the heavy gear oil in the trans. (softail has 3 holes)
it is great for wet clutch applications thats why i was considering it. also thought it would be better for the gears.

20/50 is good for summer riding a wing but the problem comes in with the starter clutch.
It is oiled also and the rollers hang up and don't engage properly.
Try it if you want. You may be ok and can always go thinner if not.