Final Drive O ring discontinued

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philc

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having pulled my rear wheel off I wanted to clean the splines on the drive unit.
In doing so I noticed that the large O ring (45-50mm ?) needed replacing.
Ordered it from my local shop and waited a week only to be told that it has been discontinued. :shock:
Im thinking it needs to be of high quality..Vitron? so it can go the distance.
With a new tire and fresh Honda Moly Paste 60 on the splines Im thinking that wheel is not coming off for a long time so I dont mind spending a coupla $ on the proper O ring.
Anybody know a correct replacement from an auto parts store, NAPA, O Reillys etc.?
Thanks in advance
Phil

well dont make that assumption ...molly paste 60 has proven to be a scam by most accounts ....in no way is it better than grease ....if you ride like i do tires will get you there enough to check final in regular enough intrevals as it sould be done ...swinarm check along with other things ....the o ring is dam near useless as a part and of least concern to me i have bikes that dont have them ...with no ill effects at all in yrs of service

I don't know about the O ring other than it's damn near impossible to locate.
There must be a source but I don't think anyone has found it yet.

This is what I found left of the Moly 60 after less than 1000 miles:

Kool, doesnt sound like the O ring is any big deal, I just like to put things back together with the proper parts.
Now..you have me concerned with the Moly 60 is not its all cracked up to be stuff, darn thought I was doing the right thing.
Its still in the bag untouched with the sales receipt..
Thanks again good folks

Sorry guy's,

Bought/Sold these quite a few years ago among many other things.

There is more to a O-ring than just the size and Viton

"Viton" is a Dupont product, it's like saying Kleenx vs a Tissue, tissue being generic, But the "Viton A" means General purpose sealing for Automotive higher heat.

Viton would be better choice because of possible Oil and fuel contact, Military uses Nitrile in vehicle use, for Oil and fuel.
Nitrile Is Recommended for:

General purpose sealing.
Petroleum oils and fluids.
Cold Water.
Silicone greases and oils
Di-ester base lubricants (MIL-L-7808).
Ethylene glycol base fluids (Hydrolubes)

Nitrile is not recommended for:

Nitrile is the most widely used elastomer in the seal and o-ring industry. Its popularity results from the ability to sustain performance across a wide temperature range (-22F to 212F), and its excellent resistance to petroleum-based products. Additionally, nitrile material exhibits superior compression set, tear and abrasion resistance.

Halogenated hydrocarbons (carbon tetrachloride, trichloroethylene)
Nitro hydrocarbons (nitrobenzene, aniline)
Phosphate ester hydraulic fluids (Skydrol, Fyrquel, Pydraul).
Ketones (MEK, acetone)
Strong Acids Ozone
Automotive brake fluid.

Durometer is the Hardness like a 50 to 90 shore A hardness on that scale, for instance is the part of that meaning hardness and ability to seal in a given location or pressure

What are air con o rings made of Westgl ( I assume that they are used where nitrile is not recommended)?

I am not sure what Air Con is

But I would stay with VITON, over all others

I have a comparison chart that shows them all.

Viton is the highest rating for what we use, even over Nitrile

But you have to make sure you get the right hardness or durometer

Just for the record, I do not use Moly 60, I have been using #2 marine bearing grease (same that is used in boat trailer wheels) for years and it has worked like a champ! No leaking, no breaking down, high temp not an issue and 99% of it is still there after 20,000 miles of riding!

mcgovern61":2x1r3bzb said:
Just for the record, I do not use Moly 60, I have been using #2 marine bearing grease (same that is used in boat trailer wheels) for years and it has worked like a champ! No leaking, no breaking down, high temp not an issue and 99% of it is still there after 20,000 miles of riding!
That's the really sticky stuff isn't it?

Well it seems as though my purchase of Moly 60 Paste was in error, the advice to use it came from another forum and I took that info to be good advice born out of hard won wisdom or at least original Honda factory spec.
You have convinced me to use something else, probably marine bearing grease.
When I pulled the wheel off last week I noticed that the lube on the splines was still intact and it did look like grease or at least it wasnt grey paste. Im guessing that the PO had not pulled the wheel off in his time with the bike because the tire was almost 11 years old and he didnt have it that long. So..still more guessing leads me to believe that the grease on the splines was at least ten years old. Anyway it did the job because it was still stuck to the splines before I cleaned it off. I wonder how someone could be so sure that Moly 60 is the ONLY way to go when there is so much evidence to the contrary? Oh well, Im glad to have posted here before I re-assembled the drive.

Yeah there's a few myths like that on the forums.
Some guy says something then it migrates into everyone believing it as gospel.
Here we try to test the ideas before endorsing them and we have a lot of members that know already better and often less expensive ways to get it done.

Thats why I keep coming back here.
The paste wasnt outrageous in price but the time to do all the work is very limited so I want to do it once and feel confident that its right so I can relax and take in the scenery.

Moly 60 does have it's place I guess but I'm not sure the real need for it.
Honda calls for it on the head bolts but in the real world clean threads and any old grease would do.
Hell Vaseline would be good enough. All your after is lubed threads to get an accurate torque.

The only place I use Moly 60 is as an assembly lube which is what I think it was originally designed for.

mcgovern61":239aa4ux said:

20k miles for the #2 Marine Grease, NICE!! I'm sold.

I did my 83' GL11, rear splines, the Moly 60 that was in there was melted away, and not much left on them. Oh well next time I will use the Marine grease

I better put that on my Maintenance spread sheet for that bike so that I can forget it, till I need it.

Got the #2 Marine Bearing Grease on the splines now and using original O ring, its not torn so what the heck.
Lotta time wasted fetching that Moly 60 and looking for the O ring, wish Id never read that about the paste.
A little sunlight spilling into the garage today so that helps.
Thanks for the input

For what it's worth, the o-rings are still available at Babbitt's (hondapartshouse.com) for $2.99. The only problem is they seem to have a minimum shipping/handling charge of $17, so I usually wait until I can get a bunch of stuff from them at once. Their parts prices are usually lower than most.