Final Drive O-ring, where to get?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skiri251

Supporting Member
Reaction score
1982 GL1100A

I removed the final drive from swingarm/drive-shaft and found that the O-ring (actually it appears to have flat inner surface so more like D-shaped crosssection) was torn.

I logged on to BikeBandit but the part (ref#36 in final drive parts diagram, P/N 91354-463-003, size 60.5X2.4) was not for sale. I went to near-by auto parts store (O'reilly) but they didn't carry the exact size let alone D-shaped crosssectioned ones.

Where can I get it?

this question comes up a lot ...its one of those things thats hard to understand why one cant find one good luck theres a lot of wings without them for this very reason .....how are you and hows that leaner doing... :mrgreen:

I just replaced one of these.
I took the measurements and went to my local GT.Rubber store, and the guy found me a SAE equivenlent size... I cant remember what it measured but I can get some more if your interested...
the price was .75 each
it wasnt D shaped, but it works perfectly. I also used a file and chamferd the axle tub a bit better mine had a sharp corner that always wanted to tare that O-Ring

BTW I think you'll find the Oring you need is this one: O-RING (47X2.5)
and is listed in the rear fork-swingarm diagram... Honda doesnt have this one either.
the diagrams are a bit misleading on this part. but look closely where it is in relation to the little spline
also a quick measurement with anything close will confirm its the smaller one.
hope this helps...
the guy at the rubber store told me I could get 10-packs of these for 2.50 or something like that...

Thanks for the replies.

I was replacing the worn rear tire and took Joe's approach (removing final drive with the wheel) and found this torn O-ring. In a hurry, I bought smaller and thicker O-ring from O'reilly and used it. Then I went camping and put 200+ miles. It seems to be holding up. I will get something that fits better.

I modified the canopy for less drag and now I get 32MPG on freeways. I got 79 cam shafts from eBay also but the rig is used for my son's daily commute to/from school so no time for that. Maybe in summer break.

item.JPG

item.JPG

item.JPG

i love that hack skiri ....i hope my method didnt tear up the o ring in the first place .....the 79 cams ought to realy give the low end grunt to this rig ...just what it needs id say ....when you get ready to do that i will feed you all the info on doing it ....i just went to 75-79 cams in the 83 that had the 79 cams just to see the difference ....i think im going to keep it this way as im not going to pull a trailor or anything and i like the street bikefeel of it ....wen riding al day yeasterday about 125 miles two up i did al right in the hills but there was a lot more shifting ...theres a big difference in the two cams ....i think on your hack this is a great mod just right for it ....and with the 82 gearing you have it wont be over geared at all :mrgreen:

Thanks Joe.
I think the O-ring was torn long time ago. Removing the final drive made wheel removal really easy. I removed right side saddle bag only. Mine got no electrical connection so that was also easy. Didn't want to remove left side bacause the turn signal is connected that means I need to remove the seat.

I hope I got decent enough cams. They were really cheap. Okay looking to me but I don't know much. Yes I need all the help from you!

scdmarx":3uv7wvuu said:
We used to ride large hunks of cardboard down this sand hill when I was a kid.
I remember when there were only 2 stop lights between Santa Monica and Oxnard.

That sounds like fun! I saw fire fighters climbing the hill. Traing I guess. Two traffic lights, huh. It's fairly crowded in Malibu now but after that it is still a great road to ride.

I want to explore route-1 plus local roads up north a bit more. Actually I did it in a car 10+ years ago but don't remember much. I see interesting looking roads along the ocean up to Morro Bay area in Google map but some of them are private roads, I understand.

Do you have any recommended route?

skiri251":3rohb1vr said:
I want to explore route-1 plus local roads up north a bit more. Actually I did it in a car 10+ years ago but don't remember much. I see interesting looking roads along the ocean up to Morro Bay area in Google map but some of them are private roads, I understand.

Do you have any recommended route?

It's all good. :yahoo:
Once you get past Santa Barbara it's a different world. And a bit cooler too. There are a few ways to get here that are worth seeing. To bad you missed the Paso run last week. Let me know when you plan to head this way. I'll meet you somewhere and we can tour some local favorites. Maybe you can get Dan to come with you?

From 101 @ Ventura, Hwy 33 over to 166 and back to 101 is a worthwhile ride.
From 101 @ Santa Barbara, Hwy 154 over San Marcos Pass, back to 101 is another worthwile adventure.
From 101 @ Gaviota, Hwy 1 through Lompoc is a fun ride.
There are too many to do in a one weekend trip.
My problem is, just gotta get out there and do it!

Thanks for the offer.
I wish I could go there by myself. But my wife won't be happy. So I take my son with me. He likes to camp but after two hours I get frequent "aren't we there yet" calls. He sits in the sidecar and watches DVD but still two hours seem to be the limit. I thought about the sidecar rally but it was a bit too far for my son.

skiri251":3u83a52n said:
1982 GL1100A

I removed the final drive from swingarm/drive-shaft and found that the O-ring (actually it appears to have flat inner surface so more like D-shaped crosssection) was torn.

I have seen several of the larger o-rings that look D-shaped, but I believe that is a sign of being distorted by the application and IMHO any one you find that is D-shaped should be replaced.
:eek:k:

If any of you Wingers really want to get the proper item, you could do worse than try Dave Silver in the UK. Know it's a pain with postage, and you may pay more than you want to, but it answers the question.

d shape didn't seem right to me also, maybe it flattens over time
[url=https://www.forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=26450#p26450:2aet5p83 said:
thewhiterhino » Mon May 09, 2011 9:38 pm[/url]":2aet5p83]

I have seen several of the larger o-rings that look D-shaped, but I believe that is a sign of being distorted by the application and IMHO any one you find that is D-shaped should be replaced.
:eek:k: