• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Classic Gold Wing and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

FS: GL1000 parts- Toms single carburetor, VW Manifold

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akolleth

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well after a long summer of trying everything I could to restore my 77 GL1000, I am throwing in the towel. :( Turns out the compression was not good (less than 100 each side). So I am selling the bike locally for parts, but I have a few of the upgrades I was installed to try and revive the old girl. All these have almost zero use on them as I was never able to get it running with any kind of stability. I can take more pictures if anyone is interested- I can take Paypal or a money order. I've got a ton of references on Ebay under the same user name-

1- Single Carburetor manifold. from user Boiler-Boy on Ebay. Made to use on the VW PICT carbs, but with adapter can be used for the Weber carbs. Never used. Was briefly mounted to see about fit, has a little bit of paint scratches around where the intake boots mount. $125 shipped
2my9th5.jpg

2- Toms Stovebolt Weber Carb. Basically brand new. I removed the auto choke and sealed up the hole with a bit of JB weld. Can throw in the auto choke if you want it. Comes with the 2 barrel to one barrel adapter, the Uni Link throttle cable adapter, and a custom made attachment plate for the throttle cable stop. I also planned on using the same plate for a manual choke cable stop. $75 shipped
123uv87.jpg

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=159447#p159447:ul32f2q5 said:
joedrum » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:51 am[/url]":ul32f2q5]
wow sorry to hear your oldwing lower end is down and project is dead ...

Thanks- I am not out of the oldwing world though- I am going to save up some money and get another 75-77 GL1000, although this time I think I will pay a bit more to get one already running good :)

I have a 78 motor that needs bearings and a couple of valves. I can't check the compression, but the cylinders look good. Would you want to try to make one motor out of two? :builder: I would take $100 for the engine, exhaust pipes, radiator, and any other GL1000 parts I have.

I'm in Central Illinois and would be willing to meet you halfway. Akron is about 400 miles away, so half way would be around Richmond, Indiana. Actually, that would give me a good excuse for a longer than normal ride pulling the trailer with the engine in it. :moped: :yahoo:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=159480#p159480:158inpxu said:
PurpleGL1200I » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:40 am[/url]":158inpxu]
I have a 78 motor that needs bearings and a couple of valves. I can't check the compression, but the cylinders look good. Would you want to try to make one motor out of two? :builder: I would take $100 for the engine, exhaust pipes, radiator, and any other GL1000 parts I have.

I'm in Central Illinois and would be willing to meet you halfway. Akron is about 400 miles away, so half way would be around Richmond, Indiana. Actually, that would give me a good excuse for a longer than normal ride pulling the trailer with the engine in it. :moped: :yahoo:
Nice offer :good:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=159480#p159480:30jazc58 said:
PurpleGL1200I » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:40 pm[/url]":30jazc58]

That is a very generous offer indeed, but right now I am kinda burnt out on wrenching for a bit. I spent so many hours working on it just to have it not even run in the end, honestly I just want to start with a known good bike this time.

Just want to add, since I can't seem to edit my original post, that the Carb is SOLD, Manifold is still available

I understand the burnout. Sometimes its best to walk away for a while and just let the self-imposed pressure escape.

I'm working on converting an 86 Aspencade to a trike, using the front differential from an S-10 so it will have an IRS. I started in April and its been a slow go. My target date is next spring, showing up at the golf course with a cart that will top out over 100mph. :moped:

Attachments

• Aspentrike.JPG
    Aspentrike.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 207
The thing that really got me was it was my first bike. I spent an entire riding season wrenching on it, desperately trying one fix after another so I could finally got on the road for what was going to be my first season ever. Never happened. Its fall already and even if I get a bike now I won't have much riding time left.

I should not have taken a project bike for a first bike, its not like I had another one to fall back on to still be riding, it was all I had. So I had nothing this year. Nearly a full year after taking basic riders course and I am still bike-less

So yeah, lesson learned. Next time I am going to pay more to get a running bike. One that I can enjoy right away- Then I can get another one as a project, one that won't wreck and entire season of riding not being complete.

And PurpleGL1200I- That is indeed looking quite amazing. Still amazes me what engineering feats ordinary guys can pull off when they put their minds to it.

The best thing about this conversion: It is bolted, not welded, to the bike, so I can take it off and return the Aspy to a 2-wheeler if I want to. "No bike was permanently harmed in the making of this vehicle."

My wife is calling me "Mr. Indecision" on this project. :roll:

That's being prudent, not indecisive, :Doh2: such as, not burning ones bridges, should one wish to un do what one has done, :eek:k: & return to stock set up. :BigGrin:

hmmmmmm just tell her you head itches your not petting it to start working ...that nice looking denver ...ok more rubber bands and duct tape please .... :builder: :headscratch: :nea: :builder: :BigGrin: