GL 1200 front brakes.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hinares

Reaction score
I've just introduced myself in the new members forum.
I'm now navigating through the tech pages and learning from "how to's" very interesting to work in my 87 GL 1200 Interstate.
Now I have interesting information to rebuild the rear shocks, brake master cylinders, calipers, etc.
Knowing that the brake handle only actuates in the left front disc, please can you tell me if it's normal to be so weak; in my case it's almost useless. I'm planning to change lines and rebuild the master pump and caliper but I'd like to know your opinion. I'm an old biker but this is my first GW, having it from a couple of months.
Thank you in advance.

Just some questions about your front break. that should be the right front break if sitting on bike I beleave....dose it feel firm or spungy when you pull in the lever and hold it... does it get firmer when you pump it several times? check the fluid level and top it off. Pump the lever and hold it while opening the bleader valve on the caliper...see if you get air out,( DO NOT release the lever while the bleader valve is open) If air comes out keep doing this until no air, keep fluid level up...same procedure for the rear/Left front

Thank you for your advice Bob. I think the master cylinder is working properly and the lever's not spongy. I suppose the pistons are rusted or glued, otherways, the liquid could be spoiled; that bike only has 29000 mls but was not running for some time.
I will follow your counsel to bleed the brakes.
Thanks again.

Jose

On the 1200 the right front and rear brakes are linked. Front lever activates the front left caliper.

The GOLDWING is equipped with a unified brake system which provides simultaneous braking action of the right front
and rear disc brakes through application of the foot operated brake pedal. The hand operated brake lever activates the left
front disc brake which is independent of the unified system.

(From the Honda Service Manual)

Good thing i don't have an 83 only an 80 and 82//none of that new fangled stuff for me :smilie_happy: Except when I pay for and pick up the 1500
Harper Work trip 1&2 113.jpg
Harper Work trip 1&2 117.jpg
:smilie_happy: :Egyptian: :Egyptian: :Egyptian: :Egyptian: :Egyptian:

te 1500 is a class all its own ...a lot different than the 1800 ....nothing compares to the 1500 in comfort and travel ....it might be a bit big but the ones with reverse added ...have it all if you need it ....im always impressed when i ride with one :mrgreen:

joedrum":3fc4stxd said:
te 1500 is a class all its own ...a lot different than the 1800 ....nothing compares to the 1500 in comfort and travel ....it might be a bit big but the ones with reverse added ...have it all if you need it ....im always impressed when i ride with one :mrgreen:
i'll come down to ride with ya :mrgreen: