gl1000 dosent idle for long

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad58

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This weekend I actually got to play with my bike. So when I ride it has plenty of power runs great! But it just wont seem to idle longer than a minute or so and sometimes it fluctuates RPM from 1000 to 2000. I know it's most likely a carburetor issue. But I figured I'd throw it out there and hear what you guys have to say about it...

Which bike? Yes it most likely is a carb issue but could be ignition. Need more info. Did you just get it running? How long did it set? Is this fresh gas? What have you done recently?

It's the 79 gl1000. It sat for a long time to my knowledge, when I bought it, it fired right up no problem. I have ran a couple tanks of gas thru it. She seemed to run rough for the first tank but the more I rode it, it started running smooth as these bikes tend to do. I have done no carb work of any kind, I changed the oil and that is all I have done mechanically to it

You can try a rag in the air horn and rev it till it is about to die then quickly pull the rag, it is said to create a vacuum in the jets and clear out the carbs, have never tried it but seen videos on youtube...sure sounds like a carb issue.

Okay I'll give that a try. Can't hurt, I got a feeling it's a float sticking. Can never be too sure tho. But I know when I got on the road I have no lack of power so I feel like the gas flow is good.. but not sure how long this bike sat before I got it, but I'm sure the old gas in them carbs is what did it. The guy "claims" that the carbs were rebuilt a year before he parked it.

Try running some ATF or Seafoam in the fuel. Get it out on some road with little or no traffic. Run the rpm up high and chop throttle to idle and let it coast down. If it's running pretty well otherwise this may finish cleaning the idle circuit in carbs by forcing them to flow more. I've had it do well most of the time. The carbs on my 80 refused to clear until I cleaned each and every jet separately.