GL1100 starter issue

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinbashers

Reaction score
The starter was dragging so with the information an this website I removed the starter cleaned it and reinstalled. At first it cranked the engine over then it would not pulled the spark plugs and it turns the engine over. What could i have done wrong this time? No extra parts on the bench, fully charged battery.

Check the ground cable behind the upper engine mount.
That silly point is a bad design and it's common to find the connection is corroded and loose which will cause all sorts of trouble.

grounded drirectly from a car battery to the engine then tryed juming the starter diretly. pulled the starter and jumped it with the car battery spins like no tomorrow. tryed stalling it by pushing the drive into a piece of wood. could it be something in the engine internalals cause it not to turn over with the plugs in?

tinbashers":b5862gi6 said:
grounded drirectly from a car battery to the engine then tryed juming the starter diretly. pulled the starter and jumped it with the car battery spins like no tomorrow. tryed stalling it by pushing the drive into a piece of wood. could it be something in the engine internalals cause it not to turn over with the plugs in?

Possibly but not likely.

What is the history of the engine?
Has it been laid up for a while, carb problems?

bike has sat for 2 years maybe longer, had it running but run very poorly, took the carbs of and cleaned them bike ran not bad but starter would drag a little cold and would not turn over a warm engine. That is when i decided to clean the starter up then get back to playing with the carbs.

Thank you
Terry

check all your ground cable connections. Also loosen and retighten motor mount bolts as these also ground the motor to the frame. The bolts mounting the starter are also the way the starter is grounded. Be sure the mounts are clean and bolts are tight.

Could it be getting hydraulic locked?
That could happen if raw gas is leaking into the cylinders before its cranked with the starter and since the liquid won't compress, it stops the piston from moving up.

Then I would try a jumper directly from the battery positive post to the starter post and battery ground to starter housing. If it spins over faster then something is causing a resistance in the starter circuit like wire, solenoid, or ground.

When you cleaned out the starter, did you check the brushes, springs and commutator? The armature windings should be checked for open and grounded conditions. Even with bad brushes, it will sometimes spin without a load.

Also, did you clean and re-grease the reduction gears? Finally, the thrust washers on the armature shaft MUST be in the same position as they were before they were removed. These little starters are very picky!

Did you get the internal ground inside the starter tight? There's a thread on upgrading that but I don't have time to look for that just now.

took the starter off again rechecked everything and all was good. reinstalled it works now for what ever reason. I think there is still a ground issue on the bike so i will look at all the connectors again reclean and if that does not work i will do the starter ground mod as sujested.

Thanks to everyone for the advise, this bike is going to drive me crazy, spring is just around the corner and a whole lot more to do for it's maiden ride.

Terry