Goldwing chopper!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joe he said when he put that fuel tank on and removed the fuel pump (gravity feed now) he didn't have to do anything to the carbs. It ran like brand new.

stock carbs are mess of marginal parts with narrow window of operating good ....

Joe I know you aren't a fan of stock carbs, but I went through mine probably about four to five years ago and they did take a little tweaking to get them right, but the old girl has been running really good. I kind of wonder if many of the problems associated with stock carbs are mistakes in rebuilding, or not taking the time to get them dialed in.

I do see some advantages to a single carb setup, but I in no way can complain about mine. One thing is true, they must be rebuilt exactly how their suppose to be or one will have problems.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=176178#p176178:1rp3s8lc said:
OldWrench » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:56 pm[/url]":1rp3s8lc]
stock carbs are mess of marginal parts with narrow window of operating good ....

Joe I know you aren't a fan of stock carbs, but I went through mine probably about four to five years ago and they did take a little tweaking to get them right, but the old girl has been running really good. I kind of wonder if many of the problems associated with stock carbs are mistakes in rebuilding, or not taking the time to get them dialed in.

I do see some advantages to a single carb setup, but I in no way can complain about mine. One thing is true, they must be rebuilt exactly how their suppose to be or one will have problems.
if a bike or machine runs well enough the owner is happy with it no further adjustment or modification is needed. CV carbs are nice from the manufacturers point of view and most official groups because of the built in lag to throttle response. It does take a noticeable amount of time for the motor to respond to throttle with them and yes dialing in four to work together properly takes time and attention to detail. Many simply omit adjusting the mixture screws and go with a synch and call it good. 1100 carbs put the mix screw where it is a real pain to adjust them at all let alone properly.

i agree oldwrench stock carbs can be made and cared for yrs of use ...ive had some great racks ...it wasnt untill i got into the hooch build i found out how narrow the window is on cv carbs and all involved to make them work ...i dont really hate stock carbs on a stock bike they are matched well ...as v says a bit sluggish but matched ...i just got into an entirely new world of carburation when i went single carb .....that was long road but i can say cv carbs are way dependent on to many things to be simplistic ...lots of power missing from this type of set up...a carb dependent on nothing is truly the most reliable....im not suggesting people go where i did ....hooch is out there and doing fine ...our buddy eric is still trying to get stock carbs to workon his bike thats mostly like mine for yrs and hasnt got there yet...i just saw that it was to difficult and went a different way ... glad i did ...i learn a craft from one of the best almost carbs out there ...what an education ...many people like stock carbs i did too and was good at making them work.....

as v says a bit sluggish but matched ...

Your right, and I guess that's why I like what I have, they work, and I'm a bit sluggish anyway. If they become a problem, I will really consider the single carb setup, like I said, I can see real advantages especially for someone that doesn't want to tinker with getting them right.

OldWrench hit it right on everything he said. :good: But he & everyone else left out the fact that if a previous owner with CLUMSY HAND'S has been there before you, :roll: that might be a large part of the problem. :rant:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=176161#p176161:2hgcwnro said:
joedrum » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:03 pm[/url]":2hgcwnro]
well id say the stock carbs would handle gravity feed much better than fuel pump....stock carbs are mess of marginal parts with narrow window of operating good ....
My 6 on Val seem to handle it just fine. :yes:

My understanding is fuel pump keep's pressure the same when fuel level get's low, :read: On my shadow, the fuel was above the motor, so i wondered if it was necessary,on my Triumph, as long as tank had fuel, plug's had fire, you ran fine. :headscratch: Read somewhere that after 3/4 or a little more of the tank was burned, that the fuel level was below the motor, & a pump was needed. :yes:

:0fftopic: Getting off topic here guys! Some great discussions going on that warrant their own threads. This thread is about the Goldwing chopper!

back in the early 70's I had at least 4 or 5 choppers , most was CB750 Honda's . but i was tougher back then.... :smilie_happy: before my big GT750 Suzuki ( Water Buffalo ) crash , July 6th 1974 ... HEYYY that was 42 years ago Today .... man that brought back some BAD Memories . :fiddle:

Hard tail is the proper name for them!!! :good: Hard on your tail end allright!!! :smilie_happy:

Latest posts