Harbor Freight Tag-Along trailer

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
joedrum":5vyjixpg said:
:headscratch: when the wife comes home where dose the trailor go ..... :mrgreen:

looks great john :rocks:

No....where does the car go? :smilie_happy:

Dan and Joe: Now that the trailer is to big to stand up in the garage/shop, I'll move it under the back deck - we have a 16X24 roof over the deck, so my new 'toy' won't suffer the rages of Mother Nature. :clapping:

I stuffed both ends of the tongue with commercial grade foam - should keep out dirt, moisture and critters! LOL
DSC_0005-001.JPG

Wiring is all soldered - going to test it before I heat-shrink everything.
DSC_0001-005.JPG

They work!! LOL
DSC_0002-004.JPG

Everything tidied up with chrome wire loom.
DSC_0004-003.JPG

Still to do:
Paint and mount box
Add kick stand
Carpet inside of box
Possibly switch to side opening.
Make cooler mount.
Maybe move license plate to center.

stay tuned for more......

I asked the DMV about that specific thing when I got the plate- in KY, all trailer plates are a uniform size....that's one reason why I'm thinking about moving it to the center of the carrier...

Worked on the trailer today; made some mounting brackets from 1" angle aluminum and bolted them to the tongue and the frame. Cooler attachments come next, then I'll be ready to test fit the carrier and prep it for paint. I'll prob'ly shoot the cooler brackets in gloss black to match the frame.
DSC_0001-006.JPG

nice work now that caught my eay and its highly tune in on structure intigrity ...thats really good all kidding aside john ....nice fit ... nice attachment ..looks like a cpuple breakers ...but still really nice thats in a a upper level john ......you mot only got more space you made it it stronger by far :music: :builder: :clapping: :mrgreen:

Thanks, Joe - I've been in contact with the folks at Utopia Backrests; they made a backrest for me and it looks great and works better :clapping: ....I'm trying to get some matching vinyl from them to custom make a cover for the cooler that will exactly match the seat :music: I think that'd be pretty sweet! They haven't got back to me yet about availability, however... :beg:

DSC_0001-007.JPG

I'm hooking up the converter.
I soldered every connection and tucked the unit behind the top of the gas tank.
I ran the fused hot lead direct to the battery and the ground direct to the battery as well.

Now I guess I can move on to other electrical projects! CBR coils to start with...

You can see the converter just to the left of the coil of solder and the flux. It takes, on the input side, all the separate lights(brake, tail, left, right) plus 12V power. On the output side is what we need for a standard flat four connector. I ran the wiring under the seat and down the bracket for the hitch. Once I'm sure everything is good to go, I'll zip tie it in place to secure it.

I took 12V+ and 12V- right from the battery.

Does that answer your question, Brian?

Yep.

In the past when I wired my Jeep I used a plug/converter in one - five wires in with 4 plugs out. To be honest I never really looked for a separate converter, but when I am ready to wire my bike, I will find one. Thanks.

AApple":21k6tr9z said:
KYWinger":21k6tr9z said:
I still have to come up with a trick way of mounting the spare tire...

Here's Tory's set-up...it's tucked up underneath....where ya cain't bang yer shins on it.... :smilie_happy:

Wow! First time I've seen someone with a trailer like mine on the forums. I've seen one other in-person.
0404122216.jpg

I keep it at my house "in the city" (center of town is more like it, makes me feel better). It doubles as a table for various things when I'm there. That little single-car garage is tight for space.
0515122259.jpg

whew...almost done....
I made a mount for the cooler out of pressure treated 1/2" plywood and sprayed it with automotive undercoating. It is shock mounted to the frame using fender washers. All that remains is to fab is way to hold the cooler in place.
DSC_0355.JPG

I didn't like the license plate mounted under the left taillight; I thought it was a bit low, so....I made a bracket and moved it to the center of the box. I got some trick LED license plate bolts to illuminate the plate and wired them in. I also made some mud flaps.
DSC_0356.JPG

Following the advice of others who've done this, I lined the edge of the carrier bottom edge with 1/2" weather stripping; this should give me a fairly good weather tight seal. I may scrounge up an old carpet and cut it to fit the interior.

Just about ready to go camping :Egyptian:

Latest posts