Has anyone modified the Cable clutch lever Arm Length to provide a lighter pull

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you want the clutch pull right at where it starts pushing springs to release....and the best machanical advantage on lever ,,,im so sick i havnt a clue if im using right words

Hope you get to feeling better soon Joe, them old bikes will still be there when you do get back on your feet. I have heart and sugar problems that knock me out of commission from time to time so I just have to shut down till everything is under control again so I know where your coming from. Take care.

I re-routed the Clutch cable, differently than the way it was when i bought it,

previous Owner must have replaced the Clutch cable incorrectly.

The Clutch lever pull is much better, it is comfortable this new way

I think Joe is talking about the fulcrum point of the lever. Changing lever length would change hand position to utilize the new length. Turns into a mental issue; changing your whole riding position until you're use to the new hand position via figity uncomfortableness.

I'd rather use a good used 30-year-old factory cable from a parts bike than a new BB cable.
For a used cable; flush it out first! Get ALL of the past dirt and lube out of it. I start with gasoline and finish with alcohol-based solvents such as Naptha. Once flushed, NO MORE PETROLEUM-based lubricants. Petro-lubes will gum up under all circumstances and hold dirt like a magnet making a cake-like "pre-casing" inside the cable. I use "Lock-Ease" lock lubricant. It is a dry graphite powder in a alcohol-based carrier. Flush the cable with it as though you were trying to clean it earlier. Flush it good and let it drip-dry. Work the cable through the casing every so often to help the alcohol evaporate out. When finished with a new-used cable, installed and properly routed, my '78 has a single finger pull lever with a factory spring set.

A benefit is that the graphite "lube" is unaffected by the temperature and humidity. Petroleum is just the opposite.

For a method, I use a combination of tactics to flush-N-fill a cable. Gravity and compressed air combined with plenty of fluids.

On 80 & 81 at least there is an adjuster at the clutch cover to engage the lever at the right point.

I think someone mentioned adjustable levers?
I've a project where I've been thinking of using the ones below:
$(KGrHqFHJCEFBkWMgkZRBQinD32,P!~~60_3.jpg

...haven't decided yet. The bike doesn't need them. The rider might though. The fulcrum change for engagement is minimal I think.