Heated Grips

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't used any on a bike. Will the 1100 stator put out enough to power the heated grips without killing the battery? With all the lights on, cell phone charging, and radio on, I don't have anything extra to run heated grips. Something to think about.

my heated grips are in a box in the basement, they are the Hotgrips brand - they seem to work but I did not like the feel and since I am fair weather rider I don't need them

with the alternator conversion I have more than enough power to run the lights, radio, heated jacket and heated grips.
Just looking for the grips that will fit the 1100 as the ones I have are not long enough. That is why I was wondering what others are using.

joedrum":48p20826 said:
now there something to think about ....the bars are shocking you and your going 80mph ...hmmmmmm :oops:

DC voltage - not gonna hurt ya

I have a set of those on my wing. They work great. What helped me is that i have leather covered foam grips. Basically its a rubber grip covered by foam and then a leather cover on top of that. What i did is put the heating element on top of the rubber grip, then reinstalled the other two layers. I don't lose any heat to the bars and the heat they give off is amazing. the combo of the grips and handle bar covers, i can ride down to 40 degrees comfortably without gloves.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I have the hot grips fit to my bike. I installed them myself it took a day to do the soldering, run the wires and install an indicator light. Very worthwhile if you ever ride in the cold or wet. I had about 75,000 miles before heated grips and I feel like a fool. The GL1100 will run the grips fine. It will also run extra lighting at speed. At idle the amps drop a bit so I turn someting off and it works just fine. A heated vest and grips is fine at the same time untill i stop and idle for a while. I have a gauge and I watch the amps and if it is a brief red light no problem at all.

Ron

In my situation, I needed to add a gel pad to the sagging foam in my seat. So what I did is bought a seat warmer and installed it at the same time. It is amazing how with just a little heat, how much colder a person can ride comfortably. If you want to ride below 60 degrees, a couple of these accessories are well worth it. Also I have no problem running both the grips and the seat on my bike . While you don't want to overburden the system, any unused electricity generated is just grounded and dissipated as heat anyway. Might as well find a way to make the heat work for you

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2