Hello from Pennsylvania

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...if you have bags on your wing the progressive 416 would be the better shock to buy, if you get the 412 shocks you will have to remove the bags to adjust the shocks for solo or two up riding

I just found an adjustment that I like for both solo and two-up riding and leave them alone. Been that way since I bought the bike in 2010.

I just did a spring replacement on my 82 Interstate and all I can say is do it! I've been thinking the stockers were just junk for 20 years or so. Turns out I was wrong. With less than half the air pressure it rides like ......well I don't know . I've never had it ride so smooth before. I get to a bump and cringe then look back and wonder when I went over it.
I used two threaded rods and two blocks of plywood through the edge of my workbench to make a spring compressor. Works well. Just used a 2-1/2 inch hole saw to cut out the hole in my plywood blocks and 2 half inch holes through the whole contraption. Oiled up the rods well and turned them with an electric screwdriver . Quick and easy. I watched Will coys videos to guide me through it. You do need a sock and an old tire valve and stem to fill the shocks up. I have filled them before by pumping the bike up and down and using a syringe.....never again. The worse part was taking all the rest of the stuff off and putting it back together again covers,bags,trunk,seat and all the hangers etc.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=179669#p179669:26ma4e42 said:
WalterM817 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:20 am[/url]":26ma4e42]
I just did a spring replacement on my 82 Interstate and all I can say is do it! I've been thinking the stockers were just junk for 20 years or so. Turns out I was wrong. With less than half the air pressure it rides like ......well I don't know . I've never had it ride so smooth before. I get to a bump and cringe then look back and wonder when I went over it.
I used two threaded rods and two blocks of plywood through the edge of my workbench to make a spring compressor. Works well. Just used a 2-1/2 inch hole saw to cut out the hole in my plywood blocks and 2 half inch holes through the whole contraption. Oiled up the rods well and turned them with an electric screwdriver . Quick and easy. I watched Will coys videos to guide me through it. You do need a sock and an old tire valve and stem to fill the shocks up. I have filled them before by pumping the bike up and down and using a syringe.....never again. The worse part was taking all the rest of the stuff off and putting it back together again covers,bags,trunk,seat and all the hangers etc.
:good: :clapping: :salute: