Hello. My first Goldwing 1978 GL1000

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make sure you load up your saddle bags with spares ( stator, RR, Speedo etc). I used an Aussie in LA to ship the Rats Nest home to Qld, if you need his details I would have them somewhere. He looked after me well on price and also held onto my bike for a good 6 months because of personal reasons back here in Oz with no additional fees. :good:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=207307#p207307:3al929k8 said:
pidjones » Yesterday, 10:33 am[/url]":3al929k8]
BrianofTas":3al929k8 said:
Thanks for the welcomes and advice guys. The previous owner told me this morning that the brakes were done less than 4 years ago so I won’t have to worry about the asbestos. Now, my charging system is failing....getting it checked over Saturday.
Is there a quick fix for a dodgy speedometer? The needle was very unsteady, then became noisy then reading high. I disconnected it...noise now stopped, so it seems to be the instrument itself is faulty. Would a squirt of wd40 do any good?
Tassie does have some good bike roads...plenty of hills and forest and a small population...
... Since you have it disconnected, pull the other end loose from the drive (one screw holds the cable in the drive - MAKE SURE YOU USE A JIS SCREWDRIVER!! ...
What is a JIS screwdriver? Thanx, Dave

I did disconnect the cable from both ends at the roadside. I used a Phillips head screwdriver at the wheel...no problem. I don’t know what a JIS Screwdriver is either. I recharged the battery thanks to a friendly neighbor and taking her to the mechanic this morning .
Got little room to carry spares.....I guess you are suggesting parts are cheaper and easier to get here than back in Aus. Thanks for the advice. I’m paid up already with Schumacher logistics for the shipping so I hope they look after her ok.

JIS is short for - Japanese Institute of Standards
The 'phillips' screw heads on the Goldwings are made to this standard. The tools to remove them have a slight change to the angles and widths of the tip to fit these screws better, due to the different standard. Use of JIS screw drivers will save countless rounded out heads because they secure in the head better. It may not be noticed until one gets to the screw that is really tight and you find that you can't get it to grab well, generally this is realized when looking at the head and notice it's mangled and you start with the appropriate language (that doesn't get the screw loose either). Don't bother with asking how I know!

As stated get the JIS type phillips (can even get straight blades, I've not required them yet, they are metric in measurement) and you will be able to properly tighten and loosen the screws on the bike, without the future frustrations.

Motion Pro makes JIS bits that fit a normal 1/4" hex drive. I have a #2 in a 1/4" hex to square adapter on a driver handle that I use a LOT, and a #3 on a 3/8" adapter that I use with a T handle for bigger screws. Picked them both up from Amazon.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=207321#p207321:56hqc93g said:
Ansimp » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:59 pm[/url]":56hqc93g]
Make sure you load up your saddle bags with spares ( stator, RR, Speedo etc). I used an Aussie in LA to ship the Rats Nest home to Qld, if you need his details I would have them somewhere. He looked after me well on price and also held onto my bike for a good 6 months because of personal reasons back here in Oz with no additional fees. :good:
i highly recommend loading up your saddlebags with goodies. especially timing belts. cheap as chips in the US.
and if your speedo has buggered up ( as it sounds it has ) i can recommend a rebuilder here in OZ. he is in Adelaide and is very good. ( i can do lots of repairs but digging into a speedo is not for the faint of heart, and i have never had luck) have a hunt for a spare or two while you can get them cheap.M.

Thanks for the advice aussiegold. I have ordered carb kits, with free shipping to Aus, and I have limited room, but you’re right, parts are so much cheaper here that I will grab the timing belts, etc before I go. I was at Bobs second hand for a rectifier/regulator she needs and think I might go back maybe for a Speedo. I saw a new one for $700Aus on eBay the other day....whew. I’ve heard I I might get one for about $70US at Bobs. The rebuild option is good to know too.

The trouble with Bobs is they don’t warrant anything you buy.....so it’s pot luck. I hope the rectifier/regulator is ok.