Here she is, I named her, "the Wanderer "

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Considering the possibility that they are leaking, I would pull them off and do a simple leak down test.

With the carbs off the bike, hook up a gas tank (like from a lawn mower) and be sure the tank is at least two feet higher than the carbs. Fill with gas and see if you have gas dripping out the intake horns. If so.....on to a good cleaning!

If the carbs are off Of the bike, it's also possible to test to see if float needle's are sealing by using air, a LOT safer. :good: Empty bowels, turn upside down, add 15# pressure to the fuel supply line, hold, & see if it holds pressure. :yes: If they hold at 15, they will seal when in use, :eek:k: unless a piece of something gets in, to keep from sealing, then cleaning will put things back on track. :yahoo:

Start it up and turn off the fuel. Use a screwdriver and smack the #2 carb a few times. When it starts to stumble from lack of gas turn the fuel back on and see if the smoke clears.

I don't know about using air as an accurate test, never tried it. IMO mimicking the pressure with fuel with the carbs positioned as they are while on the bike is the most accurate.

Carbs are easy to do and you should do them yourself. Think of all you learned by doing the head gaskets. Would sure be nice to gain the same knowledge about the carbs. Nobody is going to show the attention to detail that you will. If you must ship them to be done, I'll do it for half of what Pistol would do it for.

I would only purchase a Randakk kit...

Book says they are not removable. They are pressed in. A drywall screw can be forced in and wire cutters used to pry them out. Leave the screw in place and clean the jet and tap it back in place then remove the screw.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=163271#p163271:3m1ica6m said:
made2care » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:02 pm[/url]":3m1ica6m]
I would really like to try and rebuild them myself if that's what is needed. It does look very involved though.

I rebuilt the rack on my GL1000. I was not much of a wrench and I was pretty overwhelmed at the start as I have never worked on a single carburetor in my life, but as a machinist I am fairly mechanical. I was able to rebuild them, successfully, on the very first try. I took a lot of time and was very meticulous with my work. I spent a lot of time on the forums, in the book, and with an instructional video. 6 months later I can throw a rack together in a couple hours. I got so confident that I rebuilt the rack on my 84 aspy, my dads 1978 gl1000, and his 1999 Valkyrie.

If I can do it, I know you can do it. Would be one more trick in your tool belt and give you that much more understanding on how things work. No way I would pay anyone else to do my work at this point.

The carbs are turned upside down to mimic fully closed float valves. :eek:k: They should hold 15 or real close to shut off fuel to the float bowl, if not they WILL LEAK! :BigGrin: A buddy of mine thought he would clean his carbs up, seats, float bowls, etc & disregarded what i told him about having a tool to see if the carbs would leak or not. Well first, & second time as well they leaked, third time he was so sure they were right, he brought them over to show me, tested them, said they will leak, he said bullsh--, did a through enough job that he was willing to chance it one more time. :Awe: Brought them back the next day, asked me to show him why they leaked, & what to do about it, have known him over 50 years, he HATES to ask how to do anything, really a hard thing for him to do. :whistling: Showed how to clean the seats with a Q'tip, jeweller's rouge, & or real fine rubbing compound, then assemble, turn over & pumped up. They now held a little better than 15 lbs, told him they won't leak now, they didn't. :good: He has not yet bought the pop off pump to check his carbs, :nea: but he brings them over to see if they will leak anytime he has a set torn apart. :hihihi:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=163314#p163314:3s6vd75r said:
dan filipi » Yesterday, 11:18 pm[/url]":3s6vd75r]
I'd like to try the air pressure some time. Clever test.
How did you come up with needing 15 lbs?

Sounds like an great potential video or pictoral how to tutorial.

sounds to me like it wouldnt do to much as it works everything backwards if i understand it right ...carbs turned up right with fuel in bowls from a gravity test ...test it like it is in use ...thats what i do ...no numbers game behind it ..but tan on ladder and up about 6ft as drop has neve failed me on stock carbs ...with news paper under it to tell witch on is leaking if they are is my method

15lbs was a general good reading when i was learning what worked & what didn't, as was 15" of vacuum on a running motor at idle, a good quick check of the motor's general condition. :read: Most fuel pumps had WAY less than 15lbs pressure back then, so the 15lb, number was over kill on the pressure check to see if it would hold. :good: If one wants to use gas & gravity to see if it's going to leak at their place, good for them, :yes: some use gas to clean parts instead of kerosine, good for the to. As long as it's NOT NEAR ME!!! :nea:

Cleaning some more. Also rebuilding calipers.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    93.4 KB · Views: 90
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    119.6 KB · Views: 87
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    136.4 KB · Views: 91

Latest posts