hooch getting a new fuel source

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well after the trip i made ..i payed attention to all things going on ...at speed it was flawless ..still having some idle issues ...truth is it idles fine if i control the plate opening ..it when you try to set a fixed position that it gets iffy ...also its not going down to idle fast enough either after letting off throttle ...im thinking it a bit rich at idle ...and as throttle is off and rpm are up ..it still pulling in quite a bit of gas cause slow rpm decline ....so im going to open up more air to the idle circuit at the former mix screw position below throttle plate ..this is the one move i havnt made yet .....comment welcome of different view of things ...pass idle bike is flawless ....

the carb balancer deal i invented is a super carb mod to my bike ...now i think the mod needs to be dialed in some ...hope this trick works ..will try it soon

ok work on hooch just now ...didnt do anything i said i was from previous post ...LOL..what i did after chatting with dan just a bit ..i decided to go the other way and try something ive done before ...i choked the primary barrel a bit by installing a caveman velocity stack ....LOL ...this seemed to calm the idle down and made it it steadier ... its great to try all things as you can have a really huge bag of tricks to work with ...

ride will be soon to test it out out ...

pic
image.php

lately ive been running around with these cavman velocity stacks lol ive use these before ....i also have screen in the bottom of them this probably cuases quite the turbulence in the barrels ....results dont seem much really ...but i did notice it seems to lower the fifth gear pull out torque ...seems you get down to about 1500rpm in 5th and cruise with no fuss from motor ...seems to a 100 or so rpm lower than before maybe ...seems to idle steadier.....so ill use them awhile ...they come just to the bottom of air box mine seems to hi rise air box so no problem getting air ....

as for idle ..hooch idles fine ..but while riding im constantly have to adjust the idle it seems
...nice to have idle adjust on the fly...but sometimes it will die slowing down to a stop ...seems the faster i slow down the worse it is

the clear hose there is my carb balancer tube ...that supplys air to the mix screw hole :thanks:

I think what happens is when returning to idle, there is a high vacuum below the throttle plate, this acts to pull in a lot more gas than air and it stalls because it's such an imbalance not getting enough air.
Some carbs used an anti-stall dash pot that slowed the throttle plate closing. It might have controlled the plate some on decel too I don't know but the purpose was to prevent a stall.
On this Solex I'm running that load up doesn't seem to ever happen but when I ran the dft I had to play with the throttle to help it recover an idle when stopping. It would definataely be too rich, could hear it.

yes i agree dan ....seems down shifting gears with throttle off causes the most problems....not to sure i can do anything about this .....hmmmmm except maybe open the hole on my throttle plate again its closed right now ....ill have to think about that ...that might lessen the vacuum enough to stop loading up the carb in down shifting ....i will try this ...it will be easy to do :builder:

I've been thinking about this quite a bit and don't have any other suggestions besides comparing the dft to the solex I have. Even at that I can't be much help because you've pretty much modified every gas and air circuit in your carb but what stands out mostly is my solex has a hole in the throttle plate where yours doesn't now.

I suspect the "too wet manifold" theory is correct. Problem with most of these manifold is they are pretty smooth inside so fuel will pool. Maybe a couple layer of screen or a metal scrub pad in the plenum will disperse the fuel enough for it to evaporate and return to the fuel charge?

well again i did something completely different from what i was going to do ...it seems to have work great and bike is idling good ...even while riding and stopping ...it kind of nice here so im not going to say much yet on it ...as i want more time to confirm it is not just better condition fooling me it was a good mod ....

but for the ride i did so far it seems great :thanks:

ok this is sort of really joedrum like thing ...i have my idle where i can adjust on the fly with the cable adjuster ....well you know what else it dose on the fly ....it loosens up from where i set it while riding..... did a 260 mile interstate run ...and while burning a tank out on the interstate ...when i got off to get gas it died at the light...well this time i look at cable and noticed it turned all the way in as far as it could go ...so most of my idle problems are from the cable loosening while riding :doh: it always the dumb things that take me down the toilet ....gee wizz ...it dosnt have to move but a one turn or just part of a turn to loose idle :shock: :rant: sorry ive made such a deal out this ...my my ....i guess i need some kind of spring on this thing so this dont happen :swoon: what an idiot i am :laptop: :thanks:

hooches cold plug ck today ...

image.php
'
seems i cant hardly keep the camera still ....to me it all looked great in person color was quite consistent on all plugs ...ive lately also have taken out thermostat resistor plate out and now have full flow and continuous flow through the motor now as im in fla and its going to get hot ... :thanks:

pics ...
image.php

just ck plugs after two rides today after changing things on carb

image.php

pic of carb before changes ...you can see hole in throttle plate is plugged with solder rivet i made ...off to the right you can see plug i put in to stop gas feed to mix screw

image.php

pic of screen i use at bottom of 2 to 1 adapter that high rises and centers gas charge int o type 4 VW manifold

image.php

pic of rivet i work on with plires to pich off rivet head ...tap it with phillips to bang it lose

image.php

pics of rivet and hole

:thanks:

pics
image.php
pic of jets tubes and one of the stacks i use ..there screen too on bottom

image.php

carb back ..you can see bottom of carb tower ,,,as i call it

image.php

airt cleaner and stack put on ...on second ride put other strack on secondary barrel too

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=170453#p170453:28chq8en said:
dan filipi » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:51 pm[/url]":28chq8en]
What's the plan, are you running now with the plate hole open?

yes im running with plate hole open ...with two 10 mile rides in you can see plugs are getting leaner looking ....on the rides it seems leaner down low in throttle positions ...this is sweet running deal im very pleased ...it didnt do much for idle steadiness ..but ive got another mod in the works that going to target idle

very pleased ...it really curises nice at 70-80mph bike makes a nice hungry sound for gas through the pipes ...you can just here it wants more ......it always fascinates me when i get things even better ...been making some great moves lately ...i love this carb and how its modded and how easy it is to work on and get deep into no problem
......... :builder: :thanks:

ok super success on idle ...i can say now the the SCC weber single carb set up idles better than stock carb racks do .....

on the dft 32-34 carb hooch has ...i had to block the gas feed to the mix screw and also add air to get it to lean out down low in rpm ...but this took away my idle circuit and idle wouldnt stay steady....the mix screw gas feed is huge to the mix screw ....i plugged that....today i took that plug out and made a new one ...but this time i flat sided part of the round plug to get some feed down to the mix screw ....this was like jetting the mix screw feed from the off idle circuit .....plus i have some air feed that too at the mix screw also ...i also cut it way back too ...now this carb has a seperate idle circuit seperated from the off idle circuit and is caveman jetted and air bleeded for it own gas charge blend .....

results was instant ...hooch cranked up and ran great ....i adjusted the air bleed to mix screw and got a perfect idle ...so sweet ....cant believe i finally got the carb to idle like a champ....cant wait to go for ride doing that like now .... :thanks:

ok pics
image.php

pic of air bleed adjuster for my modded idle circuit

image.php

bike was cold it idles a bit higher then ..as it warms it drops a couple hundred rpm

image.php

ok this is the idle circuit air bleed together in hose ...hose is in air box ....screw threads in or out to adjust air to the mix screw hole .....

throttle plate is all the way closed on carb ...except for hole in plate it gets no air except through carb balancer hose in air box ...these are all joedrum mods to the epa deatbeat carb ...it has been resurrected into a diseased free non epa carb....bike runs like it is FI ...actually better revs hard and fast and idles right along ...very pleased

if i have to do anything i might have to close hole in plate again hope not ...that would make the air adjuster even more effective...but i like the hole we will see if things work out with more riding :thanks:

Latest posts