hooch getting a new fuel source

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hmmm in thinking the idle jumped when I got into secondary some and it would not idle back ...seems I might still some vacume leak or something when it did this the smoothness went away too

Could be you have a vacuum leak as a vacuum leak will cause a lean condition, even if your engine is running rich.

By choking the carb you are forcing the carb to run richer/better, to compensate for the lean condition, seem like to me.

I agree with Dan,

Idle at 950 rpm to get into the idle circuit.

anything close to or above 1K and you get close to or may be in the off idle circuit.

It sounds like you are in the Off idle circuit, and that might be your where you mixture is off.

If nothing else you can test carb in the idle circuit to see if it behaves differently.

Hooch sounds like a monster, fer sher! QUICK revs!
One idea on the higher idling issue....are you sure the secondary throttle blade is closing completely?
Closing the choke to make it run better leans to either a vacuum leak, or more air than fuel....from somewhere. If the secondary throttle blade is sticking, or adjusted open even a little bit, it could cause that problem.

Just throwing out idears.... :mrgreen:

it seems the power valve was causing some problem .....I took it out look at ..it still looks the same sheesh .....put it all back ...and it seems to have help some .. the power valve suppose to add more fuel when under load .....plugs are black ....so im burning rich but it did start idling under 1000rpm ....so we will see ....I think I might be getting adjusted better ...hard to figure sometimes so the no plan is working pretty good right now

ok new video
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zaj47ZsifOU&feature=youtu.be[/video]

well I cant wait to go for ride ...I think the spring choke allows for me to use jets that are slightly under sized ...and the power valve was causing rich condition ...this carb is old sat for yrs and was probably pulled off junk carb so id say I got things tricked to work ....need to go fot long ride and see how it dose ..im pleased for the day :builder: :mrgreen:

yes I think the air flow is huge over 1100s and 1000s the way hooch is modified....

oh west I need to find out what the bigger 740-32-34....24-25 jets are don't you have that carb ...like to see pics to of it ...see how much mine is different

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=100073#p100073:16w9fsas said:
joedrum » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:37 am[/url]":16w9fsas]
yes I think the air flow is huge over 1100s and 1000s the way hooch is modified....

oh west I need to find out what the bigger 740-32-34....24-25 jets are don't you have that carb ...like to see pics to of it ...see how much mine is different

Yes I have both the 32/32 and the 32/34 both are DFTA carbs. the A means America.

32DFT Left, 32/34DFT on Right

32DFT on Left 32/34DFT on Right

Compare 32DFT 22/22 to a 32/34DFT 24/25

You can see the numbers on the jets can you Joe, just kidding, i think I provided those numbers on the Carb 740 thread.

You can see the two vent screens on the top of the carb.
32/34DFT carb w/24/25 chokes top view Jets exposed

32/34DFT carb w/24/25 chokes top view

well the only thing the same is the top ....everything else is different ...including jetting .. there no where close in jets... tubes...air bleeds...

has idle jets 45 primary ..65 secondary.. main jets 105 primary ..10 secondary ...air bleed 165 primary ...160 secondary .... tubes no1 primary ... no2 secondary....

nothing like I expected ....but don't know a lot about weber carbs ... id say this one been rejetted for a special purpose one time ...I don't think its any thing close to stock stuff ...good stuff to know thanks west .... :mrgreen:

big day today ...did some rejetting on weber carb ...sheesh im really getting good it seems it worst spot is idle witch it dose well ....

past that its really all go quick off idle ...and secondary comes in just as snappy I ll make a video tomorrow ... :yahoo: :mrgreen:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdnIOfPD5lQ[/video]
okay new video after messing with jets and stuff more ... seems good ...but the idle will hang some when secondary is hit good :builder: :mrgreen:

well got the lights and all working on vetter.......

so just need to go over a few things look it over well ....and go for test ride ..

its really looking like this ride will be really impressive

major changes done of the way it comes ....

running so well now don't seem possible to be to bad a ride ...will see :music2: :mrgreen:

okay ride report in ....I knew things were going to go well ....hooch right off the bat truck out of here and down the gravel road without being so wild about it ....up the hill where payment starts it powered right up smooth ..at little fast for the top ....way to easy to do ...through the country it just purred along and wanted more ...I held it back and made up the big hill to hiway ...hooch didn't feel the hill at all ... at the hiway I decided it was going to rain so went around the short block ...to the next road home ..this isn't far ...so I decided id lay into it some ... went through gears strong hit 8000 easy smooth and mean ...not one bobble of anykind ... in no time I hit 100mph .. and surprising enough I could cruise a few seconds before slowing for turn .... this is for sure the fastest its ever did this stretch with whatever carb or carbs were on hooch .....

seems getting this jetted closer to what it needs has taken some of the danger away from the power this bike has ....

I am very pleased ...,all in all only complaint is wondering idle ....this bike and manifold set up from the get go has pretty much remained the same ....its hard for me to discount any thing I set up as manifold goes ...it just flat out worked ... it was the carb that needed to get right ...

so its my conclusion that these carbs are not jetted right at all out of the box ... lots of smooth running and power missing if one dose that ... im for sure on this as one can be ...im very well happy I went here :yahoo: :moped: :thank_you: :mrgreen: