How long has it been since you checked your lower fairing-How I fixed mine

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilcoy02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The lower fairing panels have not been checked in a while. I took them off and low and behold the crack was started.
So I got some abs glue and mixed up some shavings. Does not look pretty but it is now stronger then ever.

Have you fixed this problem yet? If not you might want to stregthen it before you get the crack.

let me know if you have had to do this or not.

Attachments

• bike 009.JPG
    bike 009.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 234
  • bike 008.JPG
    bike 008.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 233
  • bike 007.JPG
    bike 007.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 232
  • bike 006.JPG
    bike 006.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 234
  • bike 005.JPG
    bike 005.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 234
  • bike 004.JPG
    bike 004.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 232
I have to admit that this is one area where my Vetter fairing wins hands down! Not a crack to be found and polishes up like new even 30 years later!

Mine too. My WJIII is strong.

About that '83 Honda fairing...
I believe that CV designed those, didn't he?
Maybe it was his design and Honda manufactured them with a compromised/revised specification.
Maybe a different plastic compound than what CV would've used.
Something...
Are most of those 1100 fairings fairly durable?
This repaired area; is it a common failure point specific to these fairings?

Aside from a outright crash into something, having something break on my WJIII is going to be near impossible, including the lowers.

I love the looks of that '83 fairing. I'd like to put one on a 1000 some day.

Had to repair both of mine on this refresh of my 86 Wilcoy. I used the same glue, it's really good stuff, I used the drywall mesh tape about two inches wide and it works great, really strong stuff. Seems like the cracks appear around all the bolt holes or originate from the louver cut out area.

Are you guys using the fiberglass to hold the crack together should the repair fail?
Does the ABS cement bond to the fiberglass?
I'm thinking that it does not. Wrong?
If it doesn't, then does it weaken the repair by allowing flexible "tubes", or "voids", to run through the repaied area where the cement is layed?

Both of my lowers have cracks, or chunks missing out of them right at the bolt holes, top and bottom. I'll get around to repairing them one of these days. I have a plastic welder with several different types of "rod" to repair ABS, urethane, and other types of plastics. I'm gunna try that first, and if it doesn't work like it should, I'll go with the cement/glue repair. Good job, tho! :good:

Nice job, definitely much better than before the repair. Those cracks onl keep getting bigger if left unchecked.