I’m stuck!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRepoGuy

Reaction score
Okay folks - I need a consensus here. I know the CDI let the magic smoke out so it’s pretty well done for; but the old girl still runs....however after a few minutes it’ll just die.

I’ve got a CDI inbound so hopefully that will help somewhat (the 84 CDI I have is not compatible with the 85 in the event anyone was curious)

Fuel pump is working
Fuel Pump relay is solid and working
Have pretty consistent voltage at 13.3ish when the bike is running so I’m good with that for now
Have spark on all 4 from the coilpack so I’m happy there

What am I missing?! This has to be one of those stooopid things either I missed or it’s something else again [emoji849][emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brianinpa":2yeok3il said:
What are you doing when it dies?
Completely just shuts down...motor stops the normal just like youd shut a bike off essentially

brianinpa":lu0eb83c said:
Are you riding it,shifting gears, or just sitting there idling?
I’ve done both - if it just sits at idle it takes a minute or two then she will shut off; rode about a mile yesterday before it did the same thing. I can shut it off and restart it after a couple minutes though and it’ll run for a few before shutting down again

Have you looked at the pulse generators yet? The only inputs to the Ignition Control Unit are the pulse generators and the gear position sensors. Sounds like once the PGs get warm, they are cutting out.

brianinpa":bly1yjoj said:
Have you looked at the pulse generators yet? The only inputs to the Ignition Control Unit are the pulse generators and the gear position sensors. Sounds like once the PGs get warm, they are cutting out.

They’re both in spec - the CDI is however toast and was burnt up. That’s the initial assumption is because it’s burnt it’s not working correctly otherwise both are fine
There’s the CDI board - she’s cooked lol
99b04018eb804d61a01a9b95ee421f62.jpg

dan filipi":20p8k3d7 said:
If all power goes off, the main fuse is suspect.
The way mine is wired, the main fuse does not exist on the solenoid. In turn she has an in-line fuse going to the solenoid off a 1983 F250 gasser and In theory it wouldn’t restart if that fuse was cooked

Your symptoms resemble that of a restricted fuel feed (filter, petcock, intake tube, rust in tank, etc). Next time it dies, immediately close the petcock and check for gas in one carburetor (pull the drain plug on the bottom of the bowl).

PurpleGL1200I":1uybomcz said:
Your symptoms resemble that of a restricted fuel feed (filter, petcock, intake tube, rust in tank, etc). Next time it dies, immediately close the petcock and check for gas in one carburetor (pull the drain plug on the bottom of the bowl).

She’s got plenty - the TCI (as it should be called) is what I believe to be the root of my problem unfortunately

dan filipi":e8pl43y4 said:
Try also turning the gas cap loose to the first notch and leaving it there as a test to see if vacuum in the tank is preventing gas flow. If so, then cap vent is plugged.

Tapped a hole in the cap already to prevent that...noticed that when I first bought the bike that it had pressure in the tank

Just brainstorming here, but I once had a mouse build a nest up a tailpipe on a car. The car would start and run a little bit, but would end up dying.

saganaga":3iou76dv said:
Just brainstorming here, but I once had a mouse build a nest up a tailpipe on a car. The car would start and run a little bit, but would end up dying.

No rodents in the bike anymore! I took care of that problem already ha! Had a massive rats nest in front of the carbs that took a substantial bit of fixing to repair...little bastards lol

joedrum":32xnl6qg said:
Hmmm this bike is cursed it seems ...

So - in an odd twist, I had a friend of mine who’s big into that metaphysical shit come by the other day and she “blessed” it with white sage and so forth. Maybe it’ll work once the right parts are replaced LOL

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=213165#p213165:3arljgpg said:
joedrum » Today, 9:00 am[/url]":3arljgpg]
Yeah ditto on that.

dan filipi":d42rp4st said:
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=213165#p213165:d42rp4st said:
joedrum » Today, 9:00 am[/url]":d42rp4st]
Yeah ditto on that.

Ultimately - once it runs the way it should she’s gonna go out the door and I’ll find another one that has less issues to fix lol

If it runs for a bit, then dies, and you're still running that damaged TCI, the problem is that the MOSFETs in the TCI are getting to damned hot.

That's why the traces are so zortched.

Now, if you take a soldering iron and re-solder the pins, clean up the heatsinks, etc., MAYBE it'll be better, but still, the MOSFETs are getting too hot. Like any other component, they work fine when within their intended design range, but you're clearly venturing out of them.

Change the TCI box, and make sure your coils are proper impedance and in good condition... with proper plugs, wires, and caps, and it'll run fine...