I know this is for classic, I have one and a 1800

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buffdaddy56

Reaction score
:mad: Now , in the seemingly never ending saga: after changing both A and B solenoid and the system worked flawlessly for a 5 day trip to Savannah, it started again but this time with the starter not shutting off after I got home. Finally got it stopped, then it wanted to go into reverse without the rev system engaged, After thinking the B solenoid went bad, I replaced it (again) and no change until recently. I would put it into rev and when I tried it it would start to go and then stop. No rev light no nothing. I could stop and start again with same result. I put everything back together this morning and tried it. It seemed that after engaging reverse, it would start to move then stop, Rev light went out and nothing, the same cycle all over again. At least everything will shut off now when I turn the key off but reverse will no longer function. Ideas? ??? ??? ??? ??? ?-( ?-( ?-( ?-(m I realize that this forum is for classic goldwings and I understand that, I have a 1985 GL1200A myself, but I also have a 2002 GL1800. I am sure that more than one who patronize this forum may be in the same boat as I. I am grasping at straws here and as I have little money left for maintenance am reaching out to the M/C communities for assistance , I have to do my own repairs, But there is someone out there who has experienced this that may can help. Thank you. :help: :help: :help:

Me neither but it appears as if some spring loaded cog or do hickey has hung up. If it were me I might try an engine flush and oil change to see if that produced anything, they talk about the starter dogs on these old wings getting hung up in the rear of the motor due to their location and lack of oil circulation..I wonder if there isn't something like that going on in your case.
Maybe try a half quart of tranny fluid and run a few hundred then drain and change with fresh oil.
Can't think of anything else unless it has some external devices.

Have you tried cleaning the switches? Can you post a wiring diagram? I agree running atf in the oil may clean out anything gummed up in there.

Two things: first, are you using Honda solenoids? Second, it almost sounds like a self resetting circuit breaker. If there is a self resetting circuit breaker, then there is something overloading the circuit.

I helped a friend change out his solenoids on his 1800 and he bought aftermarket ones which did not work correctly. (Not really sure why.). He went back and purchased Honda solenoids, we cleaned up the connections at the solenoids and the starter and his problem cleared up.