If you aren't seen you should be heard.... AKA New Horns

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thewhiterhino

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have never cared for the stock motorcycle horns on any bike I've owned so this represents what I do to alleviate the problem of making my presence known to the car that has the windows up and the radio going as they start to change lanes into me.

I used the stock wiring to the left horn and made a jumper harness to go from the second connector to the right horn.

I did tape up the connectors after taking the picture.

I can also leave the old horn brackets bent from the radiator removal.
The fairing lowers hide the new horns.
Maybe this will make some of you guys get horny also.. :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

It would have been better if you had used the stock wires to trigger a relay and ran the power from the battery through a fuse and the controlled side of the relay then on the the horns. That would keep any extra amp. load generated by the new horns from frying the old wires and possibly making the horns loader.

Depending on the current draw compared to the old ones a relay may not be needed.
To get the most current a relay is best but makes for another part to fail. Just something to consider.

Not to dampen your horn job, but if those are the WILO horns meant for autos, then I would strongly suggest using a relay. I strongly agree they could burn your wiring up because I used those and my wires partially melted :Awe: . Also they never produced a very loud sound when idling, only about 2000 rpm up would you get a LOUD sound :swoon: !! I agree with Dan some horns my not need a relay but if you want full power from the battery use a relay with a fuse. I did Air Horns also with relay and I get a kick out of those guys on the golf course on their backswing :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: !!!! One other thing to condsider is where you mounted them do they cut off the proper flow to cool the radiator! Just some thoughts but like you , I love LOUD horns,......Good Job Though!! :hi: Later Bob

I'll tell ya, I am tempted to go to the junk yard and get a set of horns from a Ford Taurus. I have two Taurus' and the horn is a dual horn that is identical to my buddies GL1800 horn. I just don't know how much they draw in amps.

I always thought my stock horns sound like a freight train coming at you. And I don't hear so good. Yet, them VA fellers say there's nothing wrong with my hearing. So I really don't know if I can hear anything or not. Makes me wonder if the music is even real. But I can sure hear my horns.

This afternoon I went out on the highway and tested the horns and was disappointed in the loudness. I put a set on my Suzuki that would knock your socks off and that is what I expected from these so DO NOT BUY THE WOLO HORNS.. I have now ordered some supposedly louder ones from JC Whitney and I will let you know when I get them. :head bang: :head bang: :head bang:

I was looking at the Aspencade wiring diagram and the horn circuit is on a 15 amp fuse listed as intermittent along with some other things. I believe the fuse will blow before the wires melt. Most modern vehicles have built in horn relays but not the 83 goldwing.

Now I just put the WOLO bad boy on my bike.. used the horn button and wires from OEM horns to run to the INCLUDED relay... ran wire from + batt through a inline blade fuse to 30 term and from relay 87 term then to ground... definitely louder at engine stop then original... Did notice the horn would dim the head light at least than 3k rpms.. but expected that much.... and I installed mine under the left side lower facing left... will take pics soon of the install.. BTW i still have the oem horns in position with the relay mounted not far off..

I've always liked the look of the aftermarket finned horn covers, but they don't fit on my '83 domed horns. Found a set of '78 flat horns on eBay, made brackets to fit the stock mount location, and snapped on the cool new covers. Now they don't work. :Awe: Same fuse as the turn signals which still work. Do I have too much paint on the mounts? Do they need to be grounded to the frame? Do I need to go buy a continuity tester?

joedrum":3ahufcqf said:
wel RHINO not settleing for lesser horn ....RHINOS like good horns only the best :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :mrgreen:
Good one, Joe.

Harbor Freight has a set of chrome finish auto horns that are 115 dB. Same as the self contained air horns. Two tone and can be mounted separately. Mine are on the motor guard pipes. The mounts also support my driving lights. They are outside, so I lose no sound to reflecting it back in and don't look too bad. And they are LOUD!

Attachments

• IMG_0097a.jpg
    IMG_0097a.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 50
I almost never use the horn in any vehicle. I'm not even sure any squeak. At the times a horn might be handy I'm busy in full defense maneuver mode. Afterward there is no point.

slabghost":20yne6lh said:
I almost never use the horn in any vehicle. I'm not even sure any squeak. At the times a horn might be handy I'm busy in full defense maneuver mode. Afterward there is no point.
I installed Stebel Nautilus horns and I would never go back! They are real loud! Driving on the PA turnpike last summer (two lanes, no shoulder just barrier) a tractor trailer decided to change lanes while I was passing him on the left! :shock: :sensored: I hit and held that horn and he jumped right back over! (A little pucker factor there as I was about to become concrete barrier splatter or road pizza!) I was EXTREMELY glad to find out that at 75 MPH, at night, with his windows closed and noise in the cab he heard my horn and responded! :salute:

So glad it worked out for you. I'd have been doing some serious braking or acceleration depending on my position. Around here if you blow the horn most give you the finger and keep coming .

I mounted a couple of 132 decibel horns on my 86' and pickup a second pair for my 83'

They are High tone/Pitch and Low tone/Pitch.

They are Fiaam horns.

They are Very loud, and have a Great sound

I have used them many many times. Countless time to get suicide squirrel's out of the road. Countless time to get the jaywalking wild turkeys out of my path. And many, many time for Multiple Deer's at the side/crossing of the road.

It really gets em moving fast. :moped:

Here is a Pic

Attachments

• P1010039 Compress 398k.jpg
    P1010039 Compress 398k.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 169