Ignition noise/stereo

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
Well, I finally ran kickin and screemin into the 20th century, and upgraded the stereo on my 'Wing. I went from an analog Am/Fm/8 track to a fancy schmancy digital Am/Fm/cassette. It's a JVC unit, and it sounds otay, considering the 3" speakers.
My problem is, it has an annoying ignition noise with the engine running....the old unit had the same noise. It's definitely spark related...not an "alternator" noise. It's not too noticable while running down the road @ 75-80mph, but it's driving me nutz while idling at a light(not to mention being slightly embarrassing).
What the heck can I do to eliminate the noise? Capacitor somewhere? If so, then where? :headscratch:

chasrogers":10dqlopt said:
well one trick you can try is run a 18 inch wire from a point that will give good ground on the frame to the radio body it self that is how we kill the problem with ham gear but the wire has to be 18 inches exactly that is the key wave length ratio try it see it cost nothing but the time to do it and a little wire. chasrogers

Similar to CB radio coax needing to be a certain overall length, I suppose? I know if it needs to be cut, it must be cut in specific increments, or the signal will suffer...I just don't remember the exact measurement... :headscratch:

dan filipi":10dqlopt said:
Are your plugs resistor type?
Do you have resistors in the plug caps?

IIRC we're suppose to have both but I'm not sure if that's on all years.

Huh? :headscratch:
I have no freekin idea if the plugs are the resistor type...I had them out once just to see how they looked, but didn't pay any attention to the design, or numbers.
The plug wires are black...that's the only thing I can tell you without looking at them further. They do appear to be original. I'll see if I can determine what the heck I got...that certainly might be a problem.
:thanks: :thanks:

Did Honda use different wires for the bikes with stereo systems, or would they all have the same wires?

Far as I know they are all the same wire.
There should be a "R" in the plug number if it's a resistor type.
Inside the plug cap is a brass screw that comes out with a flat blade screw driver. Under that is a spring and a resistor. I've replaced that resistor with a piece of solid copper wire but I'm running Irridium resistor plugs and get no radio buzz.

I suppose also if the wire end at the caps or coil is corroded that could cause an arcing and increase ignition noise.
The simplest fix is to cut a 1/4 inch off the ends and reinstall.

:good: :thanks:
I'll give that a shot, and check me wires & plugs...after I go thru my leaf blower, and see if I can get all the fuel lines replaced on it. It's startin to get knee-deep around here! :mrgreen:

After spending aboot 3 hours on the leaf blower, and eventually cleaning the tiny chunk of aluminuminum that they laughingly call a carbatater, I did get it running, so I got on to the important crap... :fiddle:

I pulled the wires off of the left side, and looked...I did see the fitting with the slot for a screwdriver, so I took it out. There IS a resistor in the wires(it looks like a tiny fuse). It ohmed out @ 5.35 ohms. I did not check any of the others. It also appears that there has been some moisture in the wire, as the screw terminal had a bit of corrosion on it. My wires still have the covers that fit snugly down into the heads, but I musta not got that one fully seated last time. :Doh2: I do get wet every now and then, so I assumed that's where the moisture came from.
The plugs themselves are NGK D8EA...no R anywhere. Would an NGK plug still have the R for resistor?
On a positive note, the plugs looked great...just a hint of tan color, and no metal transfer, or any other kind of poop on them. I have no clue when they were last changed...they're the ones that were in it when I bought it in '07.

Didn't have time(or motivation) to do the ground wire thing, but I'll certainly do it...it sure as heck couldn't hurt. :yes:

Thanks for the input! :eek:k:

btw...does it matter if the resistor or the spring goes into the wire first? Mine came out resistor first, then spring, so that's how I put it back....