I'm back with a new PVC intake

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did find this which will be helpful. Others might too. I guess I will suspend posting in this thread until I have the carb issue fixed. Maybe I'll take lots of good pix of the Solex refurb and drop 'em in a new thread.

Attachments

• 34Pict3.jpg
    34Pict3.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 261
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=171676#p171676:g7t6o8h9 said:
chuck c » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:39 am[/url]":g7t6o8h9]
Maybe I'll take lots of good pix of the Solex refurb and drop 'em in a new thread.
Sounds like a great plan :good:
:popcorn: :popcorn:

Chuck, there isn't much to taking that carb apart. I tore mine apart without any problems. There isn't anything but a few jets and the float. Before I quit and start changing the motor, I unhooked the accelerator pump linkage... I felt the carb was putting too much fuel into the manifold. More to follow as I get ready to start working on the card with the 1200 motor.

I'm not sure if you found them, but here are a couple of sites I was using when I started tearing into it.

https://www.vw-resource.com/carb_41.html#general

https://www.angelfire.com/tx2/ntnb/Carb_Instructions.htm

Pull the carb top careful of the gasket.
I don't have any direct experience with that carb but they all work basically the same.
Check the needle and seat and remove the seat. Might have some junk under it.

I ordered a kit today. Might as well dive into it and make sure it's as close to right as I can make it. I've been hitting as many videos and sites as I can for info. It seems none of them are 100%. Every one will mention a step or detail the others overlook. I drug my feet, should have ordered it days ago and I'd have it this weekend. Next week: carb rebuild thread.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=171705#p171705:eqmdhfo8 said:
chuck c » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:00 am[/url]":eqmdhfo8]
I ordered a kit today. Might as well dive into it and make sure it's as close to right as I can make it. I've been hitting as many videos and sites as I can for info. It seems none of them are 100%. Every one will mention a step or detail the others overlook. I drug my feet, should have ordered it days ago and I'd have it this weekend. Next week: carb rebuild thread.
:good: :builder: :clapping:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=171711#p171711:30hh48se said:
brianinpa » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:53 pm[/url]":30hh48se]
Once you start, make sure you pay attention to the float pin... it can easily be misplaced. :head bang:

Do I need to ask how you know this? :hihihi:

The parts that scare me most are those microscopic balls in the check valves and the pin that holds one of them in. My eyes and hands don't work like they used to. I do have a few tricks- work on a white towel. Things are easier to spot and don't roll away when you drop them.

Get a big plastic tub etc to work in on disassembly/ reassembly and that way little bits don't get lost :yes:

Job done! It was very clean. The main jet was partially blocked and the accelerator pump to tube passage was blocked. I could not get the aux jet out. I removed the plug and could turn the aux jet but it came out only so far and stopped. I think there's damage to the threads from the plug that won't let the jet come out. I screwed it back in and hope for the best. Now I'm prepping to glue and paint the manifold hopefully tomorrow.

FTR there was evidence of leaking around the carb flange-manifold joint. There may have been a bad vacuum leak there. I will pay extra attention to that when I put it back together.

Manifold glue-up day. It could have gone better. Q: what do you get after you remove electrical tape from pvc pipe that's been in gas vapors for a few days? A: a black, sticky, gooey mess. After using up my garage bottle of acetone and stealing the wife's, plus a half hour of wiping, they were read to go. They were going to get a wipedown with acetone before the next step anyway but the goo made it a harder job.

Attachments

• 20160417_144013.jpg
    20160417_144013.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 322
Another mistake. I should have marked where the parts lined up before taking them apart. I really should have done that. Really. :head bang: Instead I figured I could apply glue and twist and wiggle them into position using my jig. The problem is once all the way together the will not turn. Had I known tight they would get when glued I could align marks and pushed them straight together, then only had length to worry about. Wiggling and twisting them in the right places wasn't bad when not glued but that allows them to go in farther and wedge tight instantly. I got one side fairly close but the other not so much. I will be relying on the rubber intake port boots to flex enough to get a seal. I think it will work but knowing it's crooked will nag me. I gave the parts a coat of paint. Tomorrow they should be ready to put back on.

Attachments

• 20160417_161337.jpg
    20160417_161337.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 317
  • 20160417_161353.jpg
    20160417_161353.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 316
Does the Permatex Sealant set up that fast that you could not rotate fittings ????

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=172040#p172040:xoe38hjo said:
dkl » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:09 pm[/url]":xoe38hjo]
Does the Permatex Sealant set up that fast that you could not rotate fittings ????

I know, I said I was gonna use permatex instead of pvc cement so I could wiggle everything into place. I got cocky. Making it in 3 parts- the center wye with carb mount and two identical right and left sides connected with two rubber tubes- made me think since I only had to get 2 ports to line up right instead of 4 I'd play it super safe and glue 'em. No risk of vacuum leaks. That is really better anyway and the rubber tubes and boots will give me enough flex but I'll use all the available flex to get it on. I think it will be ok. If I really can't get it I can cut one of the runners on each side and add another rubber section but I don't want to. I'll see tomorrow how far off I am when I try it on the bike.

Besides, those parts fit very tightly. Much tighter than standard plumbing fittings. I'm not sure I could turn them even with no glue when pushed together tight and they are too thin to put much force on.

Now I have very high confidence the carb works right and the manifold is air tight. I will use extra care attaching the carb to ensure no leak at the flange. The only remaining unknown is getting the settings on the carb right. I should be riding it next weekend.

I do like that "iron pipe" look more than I thought I would.
Well of course :roll: I tried to start it. It still won't run at low speed. Since I'm sure I have no leaks and the carb is up to spec, I only have the carb adjustments to try.

Attachments

• 20160418_195312.jpg
    20160418_195312.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 255
  • 20160418_195335.jpg
    20160418_195335.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 254