Jet Sizes

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianinpa

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to clear the fog that I have in my head, and I need some help for that.

When jet sizes are referred to as 030, 035, 040, etc., is that metric measurement or thousandth of an inch? The number stamped on my idle jet is 558 and the number stamped on my main jet is 127.5.

Now my mind tells me that the hole in the main jet should be smaller than the hole in the idle jet because 127.5 is less than 558, but that isn't the case.

If I could find one of these, that would solve some of my confusion...

AdustibleMainJet34PICT.jpg

the sizes are metric i think brian the numbers on the jets on the carb could be useless numbers crap ...micro bits actually go up number for smaller hole that whole mess was and still is very confusing to me

what idiots come up with this stuff...dft carbs have no weber numbers on the emulsion tubes ...but there weber tubes and had to match pictures to make any sense of them

it sucks when things are plastered with useless numbers ...

Dan,i would think any number labeled as . anything is an american decimal not metric.i could be wrong tho

mm to inch conversion:
1 = .039
.9 = .035
.8 = .031
.7 = .027
.6 = .023
.5 = .019

My drill bits aren't any smaller than .5 mm, and I don't see me jetting anything smaller that that drill bit.

Dan, is your idle jet really drilled out to .001377953 inches?

ok im not getting this brian ...if you look up weber carb bits on ebay or something ...they are designated .035 and so on ....they are metric .....035 is what the stock carb racks come with also ...its the same size as small string on guitar ....dans running the .035 idle jet in his solex witch is different than you guys solex ...im running the dft carb about that size also...single carb needs about the same size as stock and it isnt any harder to supply all 4 pistons from the same size ....most of the car carbs come with much bigger idle jet like .050 and i think solex is bigger .060...so ....and on the solex the idle circuit has additional jetting that adjustable to some degree ...before main ...its hard to get main dial in if idle is off to start with ....unlike others ..id say this carb should dial in nice

So maybe the .035 isn't millimeters but another metric measure. I just want to make sure I use the correct size drill bit when I begin to drill out the jet size. I have some more reading to do...

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=161385#p161385:25m4leh7 said:
slabghost » 8 minutes ago[/url]":25m4leh7]
might be in centimeters? I really don't know.
Lol no, 10 mm is 1 centimeter.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=161389#p161389:120yd8xq said:
joedrum » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:22 pm[/url]":120yd8xq]
gee look what a dot can do in the wrong place LOL :doh: :hihihi:

Exactly! That is why I was so danged confused and I wasn't drilling anything until I was sure.

that for sure is true brian ...ive done that many times on clearing stock racks idle jets #80 micro bit ....be careful bit will break easy ...i always do it by hand ....if bit has collar ring ..its all the handle you need

Latest posts