moving the seat

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck232

Reaction score
I would like your opinions before i get started. My thoughts are that i could purchase the kit to move trunk back 3 inches and then figure a way to move the seat back the same amount to change my foot placement and hopefully help with the burning pain i get in my knees after 30 minutes or so of riding. i was thinking that if i could use a gel pad or something to give me a bit more height and push the seat back it might just do the trick since forward controls are not a good option on my '85 Aspy.

Have you tried highway pegs or resting your feet on the engine guards? I'm sure it's an expensive hassle to adapt forward controls but not impossible. If you move yourself rearward 3" you will likely need to drop the bars back at least that far. Which will change the angle of the bars and controls. This might be okay or cause your hands to go numb. Just things to think about.

i have the highway boards i really don't like them at all they are to high and i do not feel comfortable being that far from the brake either. I have thought of the bars and all that but not seriously these are the comments i was hoping to hear i don't want to regret anything i do even though i am trying to make sure i don't make any permanent changes that can not be reversed.

I'd try to relocate the boards or install highway pegs in different places to find what works. If you are otherwise comfortable. If you do find the right place for your feet. That can probably work for highway riding. If you want you can then adapt forward controls to that position. Another option might be to install a flat bench seat so you can slide rearward one up as needed.

Just a thought, do you ride solo, if so what about a single seat. I do realize that it will take some mounting modifications. It sounds like you are probably tall as I am and the normally seating position is a little cramped. I would do to a single seat but my wife rides occasionally.

ya i ride 2 up alot on my ride today i was thinking i could use alot more height on the seat at a stop i am not only flat footed but my knees are bent. I am only 46 but i broke both knees in a car accident many years ago and the arthritis is killing me these days. I thought about removing the highway boards and trying pegs because they can be mounted a bit lower, i already removed the other running boards the wasn't enough room for my size 14 boots between the pegs and the engine head. I am going out rite now and pull the seat and check it out, hopefully the engine has cooled off a little by now.