Need Help, Instrument Cluster

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shierh

Reaction score
I took apart the instrument cluster on 82 gl1100. I did not take photos or notes on the wire harnesses.

I am confused on all the green wires and the regulator. Which green wires go to the regulator?

Also what is the little fuse looking thing inside of the speedo?

TYPICALLY on these bikes, green wires are grounds....they all go to ground somewhere, so the closest green to the regulator would be the one to use for it. We do have wiring diagrams available here in the Gallery, if that will help.

Not sure what might be a "fuse" in the speedo head itself. Could be the turn signal buzzer....
Is this a mechanical/analog speedo, or electronic?

Thats what i thought. I will however open it up one more time to verify that the main ground wire is attached to the regulator, think i attached one wire from speedo and one from the tach to the regulator, not sure its attached to the main bundle. Regulator may be isolated via paint as I bead blasted and painted all parts.

Oh and by the way it took it all apart to service the speedo and tach, try to stop shaky needles. Wound up taking whole front of the bike off while i was at it. Ordered new steering neck bearings and should be able to reassemble this weekend if they show up on time. Getting the All Balls bearings. Was satisfied with the fork seals I got from them and the wheel bearings I got for my Harley.

If things go from bad for you I have an entire cluster wiring harness you can have for just the cost of shipping.

I changed out my 7v reg for a goldwingdocs solid state, works great! 30 bucks well spent.