New from Monterey CA

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. Got some exhaust clamps and brackets in so will be fixing the low hanging left pipe and exhaust leaks here soon. Then hopefully start riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probally worth checking tha shifter is tight and not hitting bottom on sumthing before first is fully locked in. They get bent a lot over tha years and do funny tricks . I got mine frum sum Young Feller used it fer motorcross :rant: thought he only had 4 gears, :roll: I tightened tha shifter bent it back to its normall shape and low and behold I have all 5 :yahoo:

BikerJoe":100keuyt said:
Probally worth checking tha shifter is tight and not hitting bottom on sumthing before first is fully locked in. They get bent a lot over tha years and do funny tricks . I got mine frum sum Young Feller used it fer motorcross :rant: thought he only had 4 gears, :roll: I tightened tha shifter bent it back to its normall shape and low and behold I have all 5 :yahoo:

I will look into that. Right now I can hold the shifter down in first and when I accelerate it makes a rapid thumping sound and the bike shudders and won't actually move. Also when the bike is running it is only putting out 12.44 volts to the battery. Any ideas are welcome. Thanks.

that dont sound to good on 1st gear.....probably need to get the rear wheel off ground and work the transmission by hand ...with the plugs out so the only resistance is valve springs ....be able to feel the bad spot like this .....

I'm guessing running means idle. So that reading sounds about right. To get a good reading of charge voltage you need 3-4000rpm.

Yer Brakes might be sticking. Rap tha calipers on tha piston side with a rubber mallet a few times and see if it rolls easier.

slabghost":34zc5m3w said:
I'm guessing running means idle. So that reading sounds about right. To get a good reading of charge voltage you need 3-4000rpm.

Sorry meant to say running at 3000rpm.

joedrum":34zc5m3w said:
that dont sound to good on 1st gear.....probably need to get the rear wheel off ground and work the transmission by hand ...with the plugs out so the only resistance is valve springs ....be able to feel the bad spot like this .....

I will try that.

BikerJoe":34zc5m3w said:
Yer Brakes might be sticking. Rap tha calipers on tha piston side with a rubber mallet a few times and see if it rolls easier.

Brakes work great don't stick at all. But I will check it out just in case.

Yippy. Found the charging problem. The wires from the stator into the white plastic connector are fine but in my bike the wires are bright shiny red covered in a black insulation. The three yellow wires coming out though only two were going into the plastic connector. So I did some cutting and splicing just to jerry rig it together and fired it up and BAM 14+ volts to the battery. Super excited.

Now a few questions, why are the stator wires on my bike red? Could it be the stator is replaced?

21a6c12b0504ed69bde2e50897815665.jpg

Also what is this thing with the broken wire found it messing around with the bike. Thanks.

78309cb5cb6c0b33ca22cc498a0dbeb8.jpg

slabghost":b3zitm9v said:
Looks like the capacitor for the points ignition to me.

Got it. I will try to solder that back together when i solder the stator wires up. Thanks.

joedrum":2dqwzwx9 said:
hmmm better check and see if the points ignition is still there ...could a dyna or other after market cdi ignition has been installed if so capasiter is not needed

I will do that today I haven't looked yet under the ignition cover. Figured since it ran I should get it charging first.

Yeah it runs for me. But now the starter makes a weird grinding noise and will spin but not crank the engine over. Is there an adjustment I can make or is the starter going out? Thanks.

If the bike has been sitting the starter clutch rollers can be gummed up some.
Unfortunately not a lot of oil gets around those rollers to clean them up but with miles and running 10/30 may help. 20/50 oil in mine will make the clutch do that more especially when cold.

Latest posts