Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philc

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, Im Phil, currently residing in Portland, Ore
I picked up a 1982 GL 1100 Interstate last Sept, previous big bikes being Yamaha Ventures, XS 1100 and a Honda PC 800.
Over the years, starting in June 1977, I have always owned a bike or two and still enjoy it.
I commute by bicycle often, so being on 2 wheels feels more natural than being in a car.
Originally from California, getting used to riding in the rain 9 months of the year is still a challenge.
I like to tackle most maintenance tasks myself providing I have the tools. Learning how to care for your bike builds confidence, keeps you connected to your machine and pays dividends in the long run. :builder:
Looking forward to exchanging ideas and knowledge.

Welcome to the CGW Forums, philc!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Does anyone know if the o-rings that seal up the coolant "pipe"(s) that supply coolant to the head (they cross the engine horizantily just underneath the carb. rack) use an o-ring common to cars or trucks? The dimensions according to the Bike Bandit site are: 21.9X2.3 Are they made of some special rubber specifically designed for motorcycles or will an automotive grade seal/ o ring work just fine?
Thanks, Phil

HAH!
Silly me, I forgot that I did order the correct Honda o'ring.
I found them in my (yet another) bag of parts last night.
Vaseline seems to be the lube/prep of choice, good to know.
Thanks for the info
Happy Easter

I just used regular o rings ,one side I put them on dry and other side I oiled them up , the dry went on easier. The oiled rowed and had trouble getting the tubes in. :rant:

Rowdy":19myqtfn said:
I just used regular o rings ,one side I put them on dry and other side I oiled them up , the dry went on easier. The oiled rowed and had trouble getting the tubes in. :rant:

I suspect this was more to do with your motor then vaselened or not. Could have been something in the bore or the angle of the dangle as you slipped the tube in. After many insertions I have to maintain a preferance for lube to ease a tight fit.