Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
HI, I'm Kenny from Clinton twp, Mich.
Just bought my first bike a 1977 GL1000, came in baskets and boxes and had a seized engine. I procured another running engine and am proceeding to put it all back together.

You can pay a theropist or have a hobby,...I chose the hobby route.
I'm 58 with 8 hrs of ride time when I was 18, so this is real new territory.

All the best to you.

Kenny :hi:

Hello Kenny and welcome to CGW. You came to the right place for info, there are a lot of guru's here on the 1000's, I'm not one of them, so when you have a question start a new thread on that subject and ask away. Happy wrenching on your new therapy.

Welcome , good to have you on the forum. That is quit a project to start with. Hopefully it wasnt completely stripped.
The original motor might be just seized from sitting. After you get the wing on the road you might want to take a look and see..Many of these engines have been un-stuck and brought back to life.
Good luck with yours.

Welcome Kenny. You have come to the right place. I just joined a couple days ago and have a project of my own. Browse through the topics before you get started. theres alot of good knowledge here.

Be sure to take the motor cycle safety course and get your endorsement. This project bike will be surprisingly heavy until you get used to riding. Get all the training and ride time you can. As you assemble, Clean and tighten wiring connections as best you can. 30+ year old wiring can be a real bear with bad connections.

Yes will provide pics soon, just the bike minus the engnine, side panels, shelter and vetter fairing.
Seized engine is severe, pulled heads found cylinder 3 very crusty. after I get her running I'll address the seized engine (I call it the cadaver engine), later. She had leaky RH head freeze plugs. Honda posted a service bulletin on this problem for certain series of engines.

++1 on the care of the old wiring. Been there before on a 1942 T-23 Perhing Gasoline/electric drive tank I worked on. Throttle was drive by wire.

Thanks for all the inspiration and encouragement.

Kenny