new to me gl1100a

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinbashers

Reaction score
just picked up a 1983 aAspencade spent most of the day trying to get it running it has been sitting for a few years. Got it running but will not idle and pops out of carbs when you get it running. drained gas put in fresh with seafoam in the gas fired her up and am now letting it sit for a day.

Terry

Hey, Terry - welcome to the forum, and congrats on your new toy!

Hopefully the fresh gas and treatment will work, but if I were you, I'd check the tank for rust, remove and clean the carbs, and replace the fuel filter and timing belts. These girls don't like to sit for a long time. Was the fuel petcock shut off while she sat?

Keep us posted, and how 'bout some pics?!?!

tinbashers":1ajjb8dp said:
Thanks for the welcome is it possible to clean the carbs with out buying a carb kit?

Terry
It's sure worth a try.
The last time I had plugged idle jets I cleared them after taking just the float bowls off, unscrew the jets and clean them out.
While they're out I use carb cleaner with the tube attached and spray through the passages to check they're clear.

yes i would never buy a rebuild kit without knowning everything abou the rack im working on ...its usealy never a part in a rebuild kit thats the problem in a carb rack ....if i were you id prepare well the area you going to use and stay focas and dont break anything ....plenty of help here ....you get the carbs up to par and ignition too your wing will scoot

Carbs removed cleaned floats adjusted. back on bike and it now idles. Just got to set the idle mixture screws and sync the carbs next. hope thats it for the engine then on to the brakes.
The info on this site made the job go alot easier.

be sure to set all four mixture screws twice. Each carb affects the others. Synch is done with linkage.