Newbie with his first bike...A 1983 GL1100 Aspencade

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sleepjh35

Reaction score
Hello fellow "Wingers"
I purchased a 1983 GL1100A as my first road bike, about 3 months ago. Crazy I know but I have wanted a Goldwing ever since my dad got one in 1981. Anyway, the bike has about 95000 miles on it but starts right up and runs strong. The PO did some work, which was verified via receipts, right before I got it. He had put new Dunlop 404's front and back, changed the timing belts and tensioner's, replaced the fork seals, rebuilt front and rear air shocks and changed all the fluids. Im still not sure if it's me or the bike but when I started riding I found myself feeling almost like I had a slack rear tire and then I noticed the rear tire was rubbing on both sides but more on the right. So being one that works on everything I own, I started reading the post on here and jumped right in. I replaced the swing arm bearings, rear wheel bearings, clutch friction disk, clutch springs, clutch basket, and put in all new seals, o-rings, bushings. Basically, everything from the clutch back is either new or rebuilt. Well all that didn't help the "slack tire" feel. Maybe the front wheel bearing? Anyway, love the site!

welcome to classic .....hmmm dont know what to say on the tire feel ...1100s seem built well there .....maybe bad tire ... 404 have been talk down by some as not up to the job for a oldwing .... personally i wouldnt know never had one

Welcome! Some tires just grow more than others. It can happen with any brand. Once installed and pressurized they stretch to their normal (for that tire) size. What size tire is on the rear and what air pressure is in it?

Welcome from Southern California! I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "slack tire feel" - are you getting a side-to-side movement, or excessive rolling resistance? When you replaced the rear wheel bearings, did the inside bearing fit tightly in the wheel hub? (Press fit) Some of these wheels have weak hubs that stretch, causing what feels like bearing play. Also, make sure the brakes aren't dragging - seized caliper(s) or plugged master cylinder return ports are common.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=125570#p125570:28n0q3bh said:
Steve83 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:24 am[/url]":28n0q3bh]
Welcome from Southern California! I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "slack tire feel" - are you getting a side-to-side movement, or excessive rolling resistance? When you replaced the rear wheel bearings, did the inside bearing fit tightly in the wheel hub? (Press fit) Some of these wheels have weak hubs that stretch, causing what feels like bearing play. Also, make sure the brakes aren't dragging - seized caliper(s) or plugged master cylinder return ports are common.
I had a slack rear tire and then I noticed the rear tire was rubbing on both sides but more on the right.
tire might be over pressurized, over sized, or just one that grew more than it should.All assuming (which we shouldn't) that the rear was installed correctly.

Welcome from Oz. I agree with pressure, size and more than likely hub as stated by the others if we have interpreted your slack tire description correctly. Maybe start a new thread with photos so we get more details. I also think the 404 is a bit low in the load rating IMHO.

Welcome to the best classic Goldwings forum.

image.php

Greetings from the Sunshine State.

Live long and prosper. God bless you.