NJ to Florida.....put this trailer to the test!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These things are sent to try us Gerry! May you have calm winds for your Florida trip, as long as you don't become becalmed!!

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=151726#p151726:u2t1sq8v said:
slabghost » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:17 am[/url]":u2t1sq8v]
Looks like the shed didn't pass the test either. I hope it can be reassembled. Best of luck on trip.
Yep, stripped it down and re-assembled it yesterday. Had to use a large shop vac to get the glass shards out of the lawn (and all of that stone) plus I had to vacuum the neighbors lawn too since my table/glass shattered and flew 25 feet across and into his house. Pain of a job, but 99% of the glass is up. Don't his kids, our dogs or the grandkids getting glass in their feet!

I'm pretty sore today after the cleanup, but like Joe often says........just keep on going!! :good:

(Note to self, if large dark clouds loom ahead with high winds......don't try to ride through it on a motorcycle!)

(Note to self, if large dark clouds loom ahead with high winds......don't try to ride through it on a motorcycle!)

Might want to map out underground parking areas along the way. Refuge from storms is a good thing. :good:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=151659#p151659:c8507b7k said:
Omega Man » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:04 pm[/url]":c8507b7k]
image.php

This is one of my favorite pics on these forums. Winger determination is what I see.

~O~

This was the reason I tried to stay out in front of him during that trip! :shock:

:smilie_happy:

UPDATE!

I made it to Florida in 2 days. Day 1 was NJ to Santee, SC where I camped out in Santee State Park and day 2 was from SC to Fort Lauderdale. PICS!

Load up:

image.php

First stop past Richmond VA:

image.php

Next stop, North Carolina:

image.php

South of The Border (South Carolina):

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

Last stop, Santee State Park:

image.php

image.php

Hmmmmm....seems I keep adding stuff to the trailer....

image.php

When I posted stops above, it only meant major stops for rest and pictures plus talk to the local folks. I am actually making many more stops than I planned. For one thing, it is HOT!! I did not expect near 100 degree temps in North Carolina all the way down to South Carolina with extreme humidity. Average heat index is running 115 degrees! :shock:

I am sucking down some serious water and sweating it out as fast as I am drinking. I popped my head around the windshield at 75 MPH and I swore I was riding directly into a blast furnace. :hihihi: :yes:

The bad part.....the bike is running real hot too! The temp is staying up at the highest point of the normal range, almost at overheat. I have tried slowing to 65 MPH, but it did not make a difference. I am a bit concerned running at these temps.

To be fair, the trailer is loaded up to about 150 LB cargo load and is towing like a champ! No wagging, hopping or anything else. It follows the bike everywhere, but I can feel the drag at 70 to 75 MPH. I am also using a lot more gas now. Up in NJ to VA, I was averaging 38 MPG. But the further south I get and the hotter the engine is running, the worst my mileage is getting. By the time I reached Florida, I am down to 31 MPG.

Arrived in Fort Lauderdale Sat. night! :clapping:

Sunday morning I got to be with my daughter on her last day of work here. She is finishing up working in Children's ministry and coming home to focus on music. Here are some pics of her work at the church and some of the equipment she works with:

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

(BTW, did I mention it is hot down here????) :yes:

I don't think that you have a problem Gerry considering that you are towing the trailer and the conditions are not ideal IMHO :yes:

Agreed, at hotter temps we all run hotter, if your not into the red, boiling into the overflow tank, & puking coolant, you should be fine.

Can't argue, never been. Noticed on occasion my temp gauge reading will go up a bit when its really hot & traffic slow, up here.

Back in business and the cooling system problem is fixed!! :yahoo: (Changing out the antifreeze did the trick!!!)

First things first....pack this up.....

image.php

image.php

Finished packing and loading her Explorer and the bike trailer to the hilt!! If she sneezes during the trip, the windows might blow open! :hihihi:

image.php

Next stop was visiting my buddy in Sorrento FL. He is a great friend and mechanic/engineer. We worked together on tugs in Philly. He was my Engineer for many of the tugs we worked together on as crew. He is also my prayer partner for many years!

Him and his wife have one of the coolest houses in Florida!! (I think Red Riding Hood's Grandmother lived here.)

image.php

image.php

image.php

Even got me a nice shelter for the bike!!

image.php

While at his place, we lifted my daughters Explorer up on all 4 wheels and replaced all of her brake pads (I mean, what is the point of a trip if you can't do a little wrenching?) My daughter raced me to see who could change pads the fastest. She only won because he gave her the impact wrench to pop the wheels off her side first! :cheeky: :hihihi:

It was all great fun and we headed out and split up around 7 PM. She is heading across the state to visit friends and I am heading to VA to see the grand kids. We will meet up back in NJ next week; she is staying with her sister in VA over the 4th weekend.

Latest posts