Non- Ethanol Gas

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shierh

Reaction score
On wednesday i ran my gl1100 almost dry and filled it up with 89 octane Non Ethanol gas from Wawa. It was way more than 89 ethanol gas but wanted to try just the same.

I filled it and rode about 15 miles. when I stopped i had to re adjust the idle speed. It had increased 150 rpms. Also it had more power at low and mid rpms , did not run it up but i could run at 2500 rpms in 4th gear and engine was smooth and no loading.
i will pay the 420/gallon for the non ethanol gas on this bike as it made enough of a difference.

On my harleys i have to run 93, dyno tuned and the spark map was advanced to the max. If they ever start selling non ethanol higher octane then i will put that in the Harleys.

If you add a few ounces (6) of automatic transmission fluid to the fuel it will keep the carbs and entire fuel system clean and in top shape and the bike will run even better.

I use mmo in the gas. Did it with ethanol and now with the no ethanol
I double dose it right now.

I pay the extra here for higher octane that is non ethanol. At 11c a litre it works out 40c a US gallon extra but it is also well worth it. :yes:

When you are paying over $6 a gallon the increased power and economy of the higher octane fuel warrants the extra 7% in price IMHO :yes:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=125485#p125485:1yhokd0c said:
Steve83 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:21 pm[/url]":1yhokd0c]
I don't know if it's even available near here...I'll have to check.
We are in the driest part of the US, actually all the south west is dry of good gas. Look at the map option on the link, If you live in the east or northwest it is everywhere.
Seems Fullerton is about the closest, but then you will burn the gas getting back home, there is a way to remove the ethanol..Just don't remember but I am sure instructions are out there.
Here is an example of separating it out.
[video]https://youtu.be/OfZgDkRwAUk[/video]

I think if you follow the ATF additive regime it would not be worth travelling for better quality fuel. The Rats Nest sounds better when I add ATF to the fuel but the start up smoke annoys me as the motor is so tight and doesn't use engine oil. With our 95 octane fuel I don't use the ATF very often (6 tanks without atm) where with our 91 I use it every second tank and the additional cost of ATF( $90 for 5 Gal ) narrows the gap in cost for the 95.

I live in Wisconsin and can still find non-e gas but have to go a ways to find it. Ethanol is crap. We take our corn and turn it into a gas additive that is bad for many engines and our tax dollars are used to subsidize the manufacture this lousy product. This corn used to be feed for cattle, pigs, chickens etc. This is why meat prices keep rising constantly. More bad policies pushed by a government that obviously broken. We need to stand up to the constant B.S.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=125715#p125715:370jsarr said:
tuna » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:21 am[/url]":370jsarr]
I live in Wisconsin and can still find non-e gas but have to go a ways to find it. Ethanol is crap. We take our corn and turn it into a gas additive that is bad for many engines and our tax dollars are used to subsidize the manufacture this lousy product. This corn used to be feed for cattle, pigs, chickens etc. This is why meat prices keep rising constantly. More bad policies pushed by a government that obviously broken. We need to stand up to the constant B.S.
:smilie_happy: We've had a hundred years to do that. Hasn't happened yet. Figure the odds it ever will. :smilie_happy:

Ya but we are at a critical point in our history. Bengazie, Fast/Fer.gun scandal, IRS with no computer back up, the invasion of our country by illegal aliens, kids fromCosta Rica and on and on. By the way congress voted for the funding for a border fence in '85. You see a fence? I don't think we can ignore the obvious. Our government is very BROKEN.

Let's stay on topic here. If we want to discuss another involving possible controversy start a new thread in No Holds forum.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=125732#p125732:3qper9v0 said:
joedrum » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:58 am[/url]":3qper9v0]
gerry things are sucking big time ... everyone has the right to talk about such crap thats going on
This topic is about ethanol. Keep it there.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=125429#p125429:16c9seb9 said:
slabghost » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:24 am[/url]":16c9seb9]
If you add a few ounces (6) of automatic transmission fluid to the fuel it will keep the carbs and entire fuel system clean and in top shape and the bike will run even better.

what type???

Type of automatic transmission fluid doesn't matter in the fuel. All are light weight oils with a lot of cleaners in them. Recycled versions may or may not have the same amount of cleaning agents. I buy what's on sale or cheapest for the fuel.