Odyssey charger, this just bugs me

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan filipi

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1983 Interstate
2018 KLR 650
2018 BMW S1000 RR
My Bike Logs forum link
https://classicgoldwings.com/forums/dan-filipi.122/
The Odyssey AGM is less than 2 years old, charger about a year old.
Listen closely as the charger cycles on and off. Might have to crank up the volume.
Check out the volt meter readings too.
The battery is fully charged.

[flv]https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/vids/OdysseyChargerCycling.flv[/flv]

Odyssey says this charger is designed to be left connected during storage so that would mean the fan is running and the relay is constantly doing this on full charge.

After chatting with Odyssey shortly after I got the charger they said the cycling isn't normal and to send them the charger.
Before I sent it I put a tiny stamp in the case so I'd be sure I don't get the same one back so this is a new replacement.

I contacted them again telling them it's doing exactly the same thing.
They told me to send them the battery and charger. They would pay shipping for both if either was defective but it would be on me if neither were defective. Fair enough.
The tech support has been very good so no complaint there.

Well I never followed up on this so I'm wondering if anyone has this same charger and battery that cycles like this.

The battery works great, has plenty of reserve and cranks the bike better than any other battery I've run so I don't think there's any problem there. It just bugs me how it cycles on and off like this.

I fix Fire Alarms to pay for my hobbies (like eating) and they all use the sealed lead acid battery's (with the absorbed glass matts between the plates) All Fire Aalrm Battery Chargers cycle - thats the only way they can identify a battery problem - they charge for a bit then cycle off to read the battery, then charge again and again read the battery. I would be surprised if the Odyssey charger (which I admit to know nothing about) worked any differently expecially if it monitors the battery while charging.

I laughed when I read that you put a mark inside the old charger - I do that everytime I sell a fire alarm part or circuit board on eBay - you would be amazed how many guys try to return their old part to get an "item not as described" refund. (I was born at night - but it wasn't last night)

That makes sense 1060.

It just seems so wasteful to have the fan running and a relay opening and closing like this from a manufacturer that reportedly one of the best out there.
Seems like it wouldn't have taken much to use a solid state relay so at least you wouldn't hear it and a thermal sensor to control the fan.

I have the charger plugged into a kilowatt hour meter for grins to see how much it cost to run like this.

I find 27.4V is the norm for charging in my world - that works out to 13.7V on each battery I'd say you are right where you want to be

roughly a buck a month, except on the days your riding guess it aint bad.
but with all that cycling wonder how long befor you have to replace the charger. 6amp seems like alot for a "maintenance" ... I was thinking more around the 1.5 or 2 amp range. but guess you have a good charger if you need it.

jdegase":34s2z6yi said:
roughly a buck a month, except on the days your riding guess it aint bad.
but with all that cycling wonder how long befor you have to replace the charger. 6amp seems like alot for a "maintenance" ... I was thinking more around the 1.5 or 2 amp range. but guess you have a good charger if you need it.

I think he said .03 cents a day thats a cent every three days = about ten cents a month

My mistake, I meant 3 cents per day.

This charger is rated at 6 amps full output but that is only to bring the battery up to a full charge.
After that it tapers off to a final maint/storage charge of less than an amp.

its seems i have a charger thats just like yours dan ....it was a promotional carger yrs ago that was givin out by a parts supplier...and it charged my gel battery good and was constantly coming on and off rapidly its seems to sense volts and tenperture all the time

I have an idea for ya..
even though its only around 1$ a month to run it I wonder how it would work on a timer? say 12 on 12 off. or the small timer I have can be set to kick on and off as many times as you want it to...
what if you could set it to run for a few hours a day, or a couple 2x a day.?
maybe it would save on the charger, and cut the cost of electric usage.
the timer I use for my pet was approx. 8$ so to be effective you would have to run it at 50% for 16 months????? anyway just a thought.

Timers have a tendency to self destruct in flames. Do not leave them connected to power if no one is home to monitor them.

mines been running turning lights on and off for 4 years, right up on top of my iguana cage. so far its been very reliable. it switches a full spectrum cfl, and a 75w infrared bulb on for 13 hrs each day.

your charger draws roughly 660 watts that might tend to burn it up. my rig only draws around 100 watts.

i have an odyssey in both wings but i don't have an odyssey charger. the key for my 1200 wing will come out the ignition before the ignition is fully in the " off " position. needless to say that the battery was almost dead. i just put it on my 2a charger over nite and all was fine. for the winter i just disconnect both cables ( odyssey says to disconnect the negative cable ) and leave it, never had a problem in the spring

I didn't go with the Oydessy battery, I got the Extreme Magna Power ETX18L AGM from Autozone last year. I have not put it on a charge, did not disconnect it in the off season and it is working like a clock. Before start it shows 12.8 volts, starts right up and within a minute shows 14.2 volts. I like this battery (and it was only $89.00)!

The battery is actually made by Deka which has been making industrial marine batteries for years!

i use a yuasa battery charger for small batteries. i believe it charges at 1/2 amp i leave it on the lawn tractor all winter and a junior tender on the wifes honda shadow (baby is due sept so bikes been sitting since spring) :good:

mcgovern61":1r9d8fun said:
I didn't go with the Oydessy battery, I got the Extreme Magna Power ETX18L AGM from Autozone last year. I have not put it on a charge, did not disconnect it in the off season and it is working like a clock. Before start it shows 12.8 volts, starts right up and within a minute shows 14.2 volts. I like this battery (and it was only $89.00)!

The battery is actually made by Deka which has been making industrial marine batteries for years!
with the clocks on both of my wings the batterys woud be dead so you have nothing on your wing drawing power during the off season

detdrbuzzard":24t9j404 said:
mcgovern61":24t9j404 said:

with the clocks on both of my wings the batterys woud be dead so you have nothing on your wing drawing power during the off season
Actually, I do have a Sony radio with the memory wire running to the battery all of the time. I do start it up once a month just to hear it run!.

i wings are kept in my neighbors garage and once in there i don't see them until spring or when the weather is warm enough to leave them out at my house. so mine are not started for anywhere from four to six months and i'm sure that when you start yours it runs long enough to warm up the engine real good which also charges the battery