oil filter

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warnett

Reaction score
I heard a fram oil filter can be used on a gl1100a . Anyone have the info as to what number it is.

fram # CH6009. However, I personally use a WIX 24940 which in my opinion is a better filter with more internal filter area and catches smaller microns of filth. Matter of fact I purchased a WIX about an hour ago for my 1200

I hear of the Fram filter for our bike the cardboard core coming apart or crushing and letting dirty oil pass but I've been using them for years and never had that happen.

Purolator filters I do have bad experience and they're junk.
Twice running one of these my oil pressure was dropping off at idle.
Turned out the oil pump pickup screen was clogged solid with something real fine like hair.
The local place sells Purolator for our bike and it happened a second time!

Since then I've been using Fram. No problems.

Hey do you fella's change the filter every oil change? Or every other change...????

i was using hiflo 401 filters in my 1200 wing but on my last oil change i used the spin-on oil filter adaptor i had and a napa 1085 filter. i just found out that the napa 1085 filter is the same as a motorcraft fl-1a filter

littlebeaver":1xl5n6er said:
Hey do you fella's change the filter every oil change? Or every other change...????
Beav.....think about this for a minute........the oil filter "FILTERS" out all of the harmful dirt and particles that could damage your bearings, journals and other internal components. Do you want to reuse your dirty filter a second time?

(BTW, I change mine every time :hihihi: )

:shock: I change my oil every 10k and I don't change the filter then, I usually wait for another 10k...ha ha :smilie_happy: :fishin: :Egyptian: I have 368k doing it like that :shock: :shock: Hey, is the oil supposed to look like tar...? :shock:

I spent a lot of doe on sythetic oil and a honda filter don't like the way it shifts when it gets hot
gets very stiff so this next season going back to the normal 10-40 and honda filter
don't have 3000 miles on it but that is when I change it

dan filipi":2eglhngy said:
I hear of the Fram filter for our bike the cardboard core coming apart or crushing and letting dirty oil pass but I've been using them for years and never had that happen.

Purolator filters I do have bad experience and they're junk.
Twice running one of these my oil pressure was dropping off at idle.
Turned out the oil pump pickup screen was clogged solid with something real fine like hair.
The local place sells Purolator for our bike and it happened a second time!

Since then I've been using Fram. No problems.

Been using Fram filters on everything I own and have not had a problem, but changing the oil and filter on a regular basis might be why. :moped: :moped: :moped:

I have not yet used a fram filter on my Old GoldWing. I have been using them on my 650 Burgman. Has 38.000 trouble free smiles on it. Change oil & filter every 3.500 miles.......Thats when the idiot light comes on :ahem: :moped:

cooltech":13ucznj3 said:
I spent a lot of doe on sythetic oil and a honda filter don't like the way it shifts when it gets hot
gets very stiff so this next season going back to the normal 10-40 and honda filter
don't have 3000 miles on it but that is when I change it
i went back to dino oil ( castrol t4 20w 50 ) in my 1200 wing for some of the same reasons but i'm using mobile1 for bikes in the 1500 wing

I use Castro 20/50 also and change my oil and filter every 3k or so and I have almost 60 k on the bike and she runs and shifts mightfine....

Rotella T6 and OEM filter every 3,000 miles. Expensive eh..... filter cost about two one thousandths of a cent per mile. LOL Why would you not change it? I've not had any problems related to lubrication.