Oil leak

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clay82gw

Reaction score
Greetings to all. Thanks for a great forum! My '82 Aspencade is in the garage. I know some of you guys are tough enough to ride all winter but not me. It has not been started in about 2 weeks, but I see it every day when I get in my truck. Today I discovered a small puddle of oil under the center stand that was not there yesterday. I seem to recall reading about this happening to another member but I could not find the thread. Can someone tell me where this oil came from and why? Thanks, Clay

Clay, welcome to the site from New Jersey! :clapping:

Oil leak after sitting for two weeks can be a number of things. First of all, how much gas is in the tank, 1/2 full and up? Is your gas petcock closed? Is the oil real slimey instead of viscous? Do you smell gas? If you answered yes to any of these questions, your carbs may be leaking down and the gas has gotten down to the oil. Gas is more viscous than oil and will leak out the oil plug or it may leak down into the exhaust pipes and out a pinhole which usually develops where the pipes meet the muffler (which is close to the center stand). Leaks will always go downhill, so go to where the leak is and look up. You should see somewhere that it is wet, that is the exit point of the leak. Follow it backwards and you should be able to at least narrow it down.

Is it possible the leak is farther forward, and blowing back? You may need to clean the underside first, then try to track down the source. Mine has a small leak at the front, coming out of the water pump "weep" hole. The oil does blow back towards the center of the back while riding, but the drips usually end up at the front.
Definitely check for an over full condition, as fuel can run out of the carbs, and fill the crankcase, as mcgovern61 states.

Welcome to the CGW forums, btw! :clapping: :clapping:

Welcome Clay.

There is a condensate collector right near the center stand.
It's a little round black container with a hose connected to it which leads up to the air filter.
If it were to crack or leak, some oily junk could show up on the floor.
It's suppose to be emptied occasionally. The last time I emptied mine pretty much just water poured out.

Like the others said, you'll have to look above the oil spot for clues.
I have a oil leak from the front cover which only shows up after the bike is sitting a few days.

Welcome From North TEXAS.. oil is something that as long as it is warm enough it will flow to the lowest point.. the others have commented on the condition of the oil residue.. take a small box and place a piece of card board on it and place over the leak area closer to the frame than the floor.. see if you get spots on the cardboard and then you have a real good estimate of where it is coming from.. if none show up then this was most likely from when it was running and you need to warm it up or go around the block a few times to see if the leak is running related..

Thanks to all for the quick replies. The oil is clean with no smell of gas. The tank is full, oil level is fine and I never close the petcock. There is not the first drip of oil hanging under the frame. There are two drain hoses right above where the puddle was, but no drips on them either. Last weekend I cleaned up the spot and it has not leaked any more. Today the temp was near 50 degrees so I fired her up and rode about 20 miles. We'll see if it does it again. Thanks all!

Might want to take a look at the seal on the shifter shaft in the case, (just my two cents worth), Regards.