Oil on right shoe.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CapnDenny1

Reaction score
Hello All,

I finally got the Goldwing to the mechanic to get inspected to get it licensed. I replaced the right exhaust with a chepo from ebay. I noticed when I was bolting the exhaust up that there there was some oil on the bottom of the head. It never leaked before I took the exhaust pipe off. So I bolted the new exhaust pipe up and torqued the bolts. I'm not sure if the compression washers got compressed or not, but I didn't want to over torque anything. Anyway when I got to the shop to drop the bike off for the inspection tomorrow I noticed a few drops of oil on the toe of my right shoe. This could have just been the oil that I saw on the bottom of the head when I bolted the newer exhaust back on. I know from reading on here that the valves leak oil if they sit for a while, and can cause it to smoke when it is first started up. It did smoke a fair amount when I started it up, but stopped pretty quick. It never leaked oil before, so do you guys think it's just the oil that leaked out the open exhaust port while I had the exhaust off of the bike? It sat that way for several weeks before I got the newer exhaust put back on.

By the way, it was really nice to get back on the bike. I'm anxious to get this thing on the road and enjoy what's left of the summer.

Thanks,

Dennis

Dennis, two simple things you could check:

1. The tachometer drive has an o-ring in it that dries out when sitting. Just forward of the fuel pump (follow the cable) and run your finger under the pump and see if you strike oil! If so, the tach drive o-ring is leaking. Either replace the o-ring or fill it with silicon and tighten up, let the silicon set.

2. The studs on the exhaust pipe got turned in deeper than they should allowing them (or one) to thread up into the head. There is not much aluminum above the studs and it is real easy to thread them into the head. there is an oil galley right above them. Check the engine cold, run your finger at the bottom of each stud and see if you strike oil!

These are only two quick things to try. Could be the valves leaking also.

Gerry

I have floorboards on mine, and that puts my toe up under the head, where erl on my boot would prolly be from the valve cover/gasket.....hiway pegs will cure it... :smilie_happy:
Sounds like care needs to be taken when tightening the exhaust nuts, lest the studs get screwed up into the head, bursting into an oil gallery??? Wow...that's good info there, Gerry! :good: I wonder , if this happens, would that restrict the oil flow thru that area also? That's not good....not good at all! :sensored:

When I took the old exhaust off, the stud came with it. That may have been where the oil was coing from, out of the hole for the stud. It may go all the way through, maybe not. But the exhaust was off before, because the PO had the exhaust welded, and it was all crooked, so he must have done it off the bike. If it's from teh stud, then it should stop right? Once the stud is back into place that should block it shouldn't it? I will check the tach drive cable tonight. I don't see why the valve cover would just start leaking. I guess stuff just happens, but when I do something on a bike and somethign changes, I figure it had somethign to do with me? Usually something I did wrong.

Thanks for the input.

Dennis

AApple":3i52emvl said:
Sounds like care needs to be taken when tightening the exhaust nuts, lest the studs get screwed up into the head, bursting into an oil gallery??? Wow...that's good info there, Gerry! :good: I wonder , if this happens, would that restrict the oil flow thru that area also? That's not good....not good at all! :sensored:
Unfortunately, I know from experience. My '81 engine had this same leak, yes the tach drive was leaking, but it still kept leaking afterwards, silicon on valve covers.......etc. When I took the engine out to swap out with the '83 engine, the '83 was missing an exhaust stud on the right side. So I went to take one from the '81 and noticed that the third one from the front seemed a little deep to me. Unscrewed it and found a hole in the head! (Not in the combustion side) Lo, and behold, I great place for oil to leak!

I would suggest a small amount of sealant on the threads of the exhaust bolt before re-installing it. It might help with the leak, if that is where it is leaking. Maybe something like Permatex Aviation sealer would do the job, without hardening.
Just an idea. ;)

and a good idea apple ...imean what else can you do except scrap the head .....this is the only thing to do some kind of something will stop that leak with a threaded stud it dosnt get any better condition for something like that to work.....

I rode it home from the inspection last night and no oil on my shoe this time. I think it was just the oil that leaked out while I had the exhaust pipe off the bike. I will wipe it off really well and make sure it stays dry.

Thanks for the comments. Let's hope it was nothing.

Take care all,

Dennis