Oil use

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shierh

Reaction score
Mine seems to be using oil. How much do the rest of you have to add and at how many miles. Seems i may have been down a quart over 2000 miles. seems high.

A couple of things.....first off, are you checking the oil with the bike on the centerstand?

Normally, you fill the oil until it reaches just above the center of the wiper in the window, not all the way up to the top line.

Are there any signs of oil leaking on your boots or anywhere else?

Do you see smoke while riding?

I normally can go between oil changes without adding any oil (6 months or 5000 miles).

checking on side stand. I think it shows at the top line when i do the oil change but not sure of that.
no smoke when riding.
Some smoke on start up as many of these do.
only leak is the shift shaft but not that bad, the new seal did not fix that issue. someone scarred up the seal area prior to my ownership. I may replace again and use some rtv behind the seal. Also may try to manufacture a hone from pvc pipe and 230g wet sand and try to hone it out then a new seal again.

ill pull the plugs tonight and see how they look.

I would suggest that you check while on the center stand since that is the accurate way to check, otherwise you may be over filling in the first place which is bad on these boxer engines.

Shifter seal leaking can be an issue since the oil has a tendency to leak and disappear at speed under the bike.

If you are filling above the center/middle of the check window while checking with the bike on the center stand then you are overfilling and the engine will use up that extra oil.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=140427#p140427:t2tmw569 said:
mcgovern61 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:37 am[/url]":t2tmw569]
Hopefully, that will solve your problem! 1/2 quart is a lot of overfill in these engines!

+1!!!!