opinion on old goldwing value

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok.keep it in mind buddy.

I will! I have another idea.....maybe we could set up a delivery ride/chain so to speak of different CGW members from here to Texas. Each guy takes the bike a certain distance and passes it to the next member until it reaches Texas. :headscratch:

Just an idea! I know the bike will easily make the trip, but I agree with Denver that there is always trucks passing through. I know a lot of trucks take I-95 south from my area and then route I-10 across the country into Texas all the time.

Either way, we will have the bike ready for sale shortly. I just want to put the progressive fork springs in first and change the fork oil. Then it is just polishing for the sale pictures.

It seems that in the market, original Standards in good condition whether 1100 or 1200 get a higher dollar. I am under the opinion that an original Standard is desirable because of the simplicity, styling (open bike look) and just plain old fun to ride.

I have been switching between our current '81 Standard naked and my '82 Standard bagged (which is a lot heavier) and there are distinct differences in handling that make the naked bike more fun to zip around on. But I would never give up my customized '82 slug. She is a great over the road, reliable, comfortable ride!

If both were on the market, I pretty sure the naked Standard would command more money only because it is not altered.

I think it is a combination of all this.There were millions of the 4 cylinders sold.They were revolutionary in the day.4 cylinder boxer engine,watercooled,whoda thunk.One cycle magazine when the 75 came out did a road test.While out they saw a kid riding a dirk bike out in a field.Not a big kid.They got his attention.They told him who they were and asked him if would try and ride it in the parking lot.Amazingly the boy could. Many things:
1.there are still several of the four cylinders still on the road today.There are more still of parts bikes.One because nos is rare and expensive.This same magazine said take one out of the crate and it does 143 mph.Not true but probably over 120 easily.
2. The lack of rarity makes them less valuable
3.the 6 cylinder design is modern and parts are still easily available but the 1500 is getting more scarce
4.If the 4 clyinder was scarcer it might create a collectability and more value but then I wouldnt want one.
5.The valkyrie is the closest thing to our bikes and it sold poorly.I would have thought all of us would have wanted one.
6.What often creates a classic is its timeless design, rideability, and someone knowing demographics taking a chance and making aftermarket parts.The yamaha xs 650 is one example.Not because its a yamaha but because it looks like a triumph or bsa.
7.There is just no money to be made reviving these bikes.It is more personal pleasure than doing anything else.But, once revived the motors last twice as long as anything else.
8.to me the 1800 is a 900 pound crotch rocket.I don't like crotch rockets.All the 1500 lacks is an espresso machine. One of my favorite auto segments is the tri fives.55,56,57 chevy. Timeless. Our bikes are a 58 chevy.These are my opinions.

Running 1200 Standards in stock form, all parts intact are indeed rare! Finding one is an unusual event indeed, but occasionally a good deal comes along. Found my last one in a Pa. college town, about 100 miles or so away. Got a fellow bike rider's assistance with a van & trailer to drag it home, had a little over $1,000 in it with gas for the van.Just a down payment, to be sure. But having another to ride when one is down for tires, maintenance, or repair, makes it a lot easier to take your time, when it comes arround,you have a spare.

I may let go of mine. I take it Denton is in Texas.

IMG_0333a_zpskc7xkyls.jpg

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=188004#p188004:3e8i4c40 said:
wedoo2 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:14 am[/url]":3e8i4c40]
I may let go of mine. I take it Denton is in Texas.

IMG_0333a_zpskc7xkyls.jpg

Beautiful bike sir.Yes denton is in texas,close to dallas and the metroplex.Otherwise known as infamous highways and 6.7 million people. I just bought a beautiful brown 82.