Purchase of old bike

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petesgoldwing

Reaction score
Looking to get an older Goldwing in Febuary. Need input waht is best year to check out> looking between 1982 to 1984 or 85. What do I nee to look for.
? HELP??

those are some good yrs ....its mostly on the bike as to what to get 82 -83 1100s are great 84-85 1200s are somewhat taller geared for the touring speed and lower rpm...oldwings are great bikes

Depends on what you want.
Those are all good years, actually all years GoldWing are good.

I think the only year I'd stay away from is the fuel injected 1200, not sure what year that is, one of the others will know.
The fuel injection is great but if there's any problem with it parts are getting very hard to find and expensive.

If you want all the bells and whistles, go with a 1200 Aspencade.
If you want sport, any year Standard model is good, the 75-77 1000 is best but you asked 82-85 so in those years I would say the 82 1100 or the 84 1200, both Standards.
The 84 1200 Standard is becoming a collector so grab one if you can.

Welcome to the forums!

First you need to decide what you are looking for. Are you looking for a "ready to ride" bike or a "project" bike? Something in between? An all out basket case?
Have you decided how much you want to spend? Someone recently had an 84 1200 standard for sale here. Ready to ride.

Yeah, about that 1985 model...doesn't it have the fuel injection that most shy away from due to the limited availability of replacement parts? Also, aren't the stators on the 1200 less than spectacular?

Just sayin. :read:

~O~

I thought it was an 84. Even if it was one that came with injection most now have been converted to carbs.

83' had the most updates, wiring beefed up, geared for highway, easier clutch, vented front rotors, linked brakes (not sure if that is really an upgrade).

FYI, if anyone wants the easier 83 clutch lever pull, for all years 1100 all you need is to swap out the clutch cover and actuator pin with an 83 cover.
Oh and might also need the lower cable end support, I think it has a different angle.
Easy plug and play upgrade.

I do not need a basket case bike or prodject. looking to get a ride right way bike about $2,00 to $3,000 Thank all of you for your input. I will look into the craigs list to try find one.

I was checking out craigs List and there seem to be a few really good buy's in your price range,https://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/2706634614.html good luck..

I have an Aspercade, '83 with 34,157 miles on it. Runs good, orginal gray paint in good shape with pin stripe designs. The only thing I know of that doesn't work is the cruise control. I like the ride but I'm getting kinda of old an switched to a trike a few months ago, just never did put it on the market yet. I'm asking $2,000. If you are interested I could send you pictures as soon as I take them. I'm located in Boonville Missouri. (660/537-0871)
I also have a 1986 Honda Rebel 450 with 5,861 miles on it. Looks and runs great. $2,500.

Yes, the trike is a '94 Aspercade 1500 with a Canadian conversion Ford 170 rearend, spectra red. 47,000 miles (more now). Love it.
Rode it home from Georgia, 630 miles, 40 MPG. Does not have standard Honda mufflers, more like straight pipes, a little loud, sounds like a hot rod.