Question for those who have rebuilt rear shocks

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zman

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The question is does the shock dampen in both direction or only on the upstroke, I can push the piston down easier then pulling up. I have them disassembled now. Any thoughts.

The shocks should dampen in both directions. However...if you have them disassembled, they will not operate the same as they do when assembled, and full of oil. With no, or little oil, there is nothing to resist the movement of the piston. Also, with the factory type, air assisted shocks, the air also helps force oil into the shock cartridge. ;)

Joel , Thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned I was working them submerged in transmission fluid had heavy resistance on the up pull but light on the down stroke I suppose they are junk. Do they need air to test properly?

I don't know that they need air to function properly at all. The air is just additional support when adding weight. The air does tend to force the oil into the actual shock, tho. They should technically be firmer/harder on the downstroke tho....being weak in that direction kinda defeats the whole purpose of them. It's possible the valving inside is gummed up, or otherwise faulty. Then again, they may not work right unless quickly moved in/out, as they would be on the vehicle. I can't remember how mine were on The Turd when I redid them either time. Guess I wasn't really even checking the actual up/down damping function.....doh!!

There is damping in both directions but there is more damping on rebound, less on compression. How many miles on the shocks? I suspect that with the proper amount of new fluid in them they'l be fine. Stay safe and enjoy the ride.

There is damping in both directions but there is more damping on rebound, less on compression. How many miles on the shocks? I suspect that with the proper amount of new fluid in them they'l be fine. Stay safe and enjoy the ride.
They have 14K on them. I already bought the seals so I am going to give it a go. Thanks.

You should be fine. I just did the ones on my '83 with 45K on them. New seals, new boots, fresh fluid. They work fine.

Latest posts