Rear tire...AGAIN...the continuing saga...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
or possibly I'll try the Bridgestones again next time

Bad news on that front.....Bridgestone is limiting the S11's and the rear tire for my bike (140/90 - 16) has been discontinued except what is out there on the shelves.

Is it possible that your rear shock absorber rubber grommets are bad/slipping?

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=153655#p153655:1yc4qsks said:
mcgovern61 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:16 am[/url]":1yc4qsks]
Is it possible that your rear shock absorber rubber grommets are bad/slipping?

They're new, Gerry...just put them on a couple months ago when I re-sealed the shocks. :thanks:

Darn....trying to find simple explanations. Making me think twice about a 230 for my replacement rear tire. There are a couple S11's out there right now running in the $130's where the Shinko 230 only runs $77. :headscratch:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=153660#p153660:1jsy13z4 said:
joedrum » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:37 am[/url]":1jsy13z4]
now gerry your going to listen to joel ...he dont like any tire
So.....hard.....to......not......make........joke! :head bang:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=153660#p153660:24pzuf87 said:
joedrum » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:37 pm[/url]":24pzuf87]
now gerry your going to listen to joel ...he dont like any tire
But he has a tremendous amount of experience with many more tires than I have ever bought! :yes:

(Joel, is that a good thing or a bad thing?) :oops:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=153666#p153666:8pzz5ew0 said:
backlander » 53 minutes ago[/url]":8pzz5ew0]
Check your swing arm bearings and bolts next. I'm with joe, especially in a commute situation.
Agreed.
Backlander beat me to it.
Something is loose Joel.
Check over your framing very closely too. Not impossible that it could be split somewhere.
I wouldn't ride it any longer until I found the reason. This is not normal with any tire and I don't read of anyone else saying similar experiences.
I doubt it's the tires, well maybe the tires are amplifying it some but I don't think it's just the tires.

I am in agreement with Dan and Mike Joel as there must be an additional issue other that your new tire as you reported a similar sensation with the other rear A230. I do run 36 psi in my front and 42 in the rear and have not had any tracking handling problems with the Shinkos. I have now had one set purchased in the US and am now running a set purchased here in Oz with only great results. I hope that you can resolve this Joel as apart from reduced milage I can't fault the A230s in any way and I certainly punish tires in my riding ( the DD and trying to grind down the center stand as much as possible).
[video]https://youtu.be/fn_oQE7jl98[/video]
The Goat track which was with the Metzler LaserTech that only lasted 3k miles on the rear before being replaced with the current A230.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=153648#p153648:2j55ogxu said:
AApple » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:51 am[/url]":2j55ogxu]
Yeah....road surface prolly has as much to do with it as anything.
So....remember me complaining about the "wobbly" feeling I got when I mounted these Shinkos last year? Well...that DID get better with time, and eventually went away as the rear tire wore to about 1/2 tread. BUT....this new one does the same dam thing.... :sensored: :rant: Only it seems much worse. I seriously thought I had a low/flat front tire yesterday morning on the ride in, even tho I checked pressure on front and rear tire before I left the house(32 frt/42rr). Downright dangerous, and scarey as hell! :shock: Ride home was no better. I checked everything on the front when I got home, and again this morning, in case something had gotten loose or something, but found nothing. Plus...I changed nothing on the bike other than the rear tire. Dint mess with anything on the front. I even checked the air pressure in the forks and rear shocks, and both ends are at the same pressures I've also run in them. Checked the bolts on the front forks, triple tree, all of that. There ain't nothing on the rear except the axle to check, and it is fine.
It feels like I'm riding on ice at times....the front is just moving around, but it feels like a low tire. I'm convinced rubber compound on these dang Shinkos are just too dam soft for my application. I liked the longer mileage I got from it, but I don't think I'll be replacing it with another Shinko when the time comes. :nea:
And before anyone says it, I know new tires are kinda slick until the mold release agent wears off....it ain't that, 'cause I know what that feels like. I think I'll be going back to either the Dunlops, or possibly I'll try the Bridgestones again next time. :headscratch:
I just recently read a few reports of the shinko tires delaminating. Put the bike on the center stand and raise the front. Spin the wheel look for any abnormal wear or surface contour. If you find any you need to contact the seller.

They will be old reports Slab as my Metzler tire guy keeps telling me why he won't sell Shinkos. The delaminating that he was referring to was mainly dirt bike tires and from 5 or 6 years ago when he tried them.

images

Guys....this is the same issue I had with the Shinkos I installed last August. It's NOT a bike issue..it's a TIRE issue. Once the rear tire got some wear to it(1000 miles or so), this feeling went away, and the bike felt "normal". There's not a problem with the front tire, it just FEELS like the front is moving around, even tho it is the REAR that is actually squirming around. Never felt this with the Dunlops, or the Bridgestones.

And there was at least one other that had the same impression..
Silverado6x6":nf62ss17 said:
Felt a little mushy on the dry pavement.

The car tire idea ain't gunna werk, either Joe...unless you know an EASY way to get one on my stock rim.... :BigGrin: