Reassembly help request

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shierh

Reaction score
Im putting front end back together, did not take prior photos though they may not have helped. Im looking at wire and cable routing. Wasnt right from prior owner. Do any of you have photos of the front end with cowl removed so I can see how wire harnesses and all cables are routed.

I did install the tach cable and start the bike. it is now glass smooth. Of course the cowl install and other installations will likely interfear with the cable and cause some pulse issues.
I did take the tach apart and it looked good inside. I lubed the sleeve with spray lith/teflon grease and tried to work it in. Possible this has helped. Did the same with the speedo, lubed all gears and sleeve with lith/teflon spray. Painted both units. Look pretty nice now.

I screwed up the steering head bearing install. i over torqued the adjusting nut to set the bearings, i set wrench at 79 instead of 29. I did not replace the races as they looked good. However Im getting a slightly rough feel with the steering head so likely put flat spots on rollers or the race or both. Well Im running with it like it is and see how it handles. Can always redo it. I have the new races that came with the kit.

Only thing im waiting for is the left fork bushings. It was rebuilt by a mechanic before i got it. Well he called himself a mechanic. Left out the spacer washer between the springs, the washer on top of the seal and didnt have enough oil in it. Bushings were scarred up from poor install.

Broke the speedo cable end when i stepped on the plastic coupler on the wheel end so ordered new one today.

I got all the wiring right i think, light blue stripe was an issue. wiring diagram shows 2 but I have 3 so they are all coupled to gether in tghe 4 plex coupler. There is a brown female end and no other brown and it looks like it isnt used in my model per diagram. I ran the engine and checked all lights and instruments. Cowl not on so no idea on turn signal or headlight other than the indicator lights on dash work for each.

Looking forward to getting it back on the road as soon as i get the bushings and speedo cable.

:ahem: It is your bike but.... don't mess around with the steering head !! you don't want any rough feeling with that thing!.. zero! if it isn't smooth as glass, fix it! i just had to give my opinion on that as it can stick you where you don't want to be stuck!! Have fun with your build

Hard to believe that 79 lbs would actually put flat spots in them. It could be that the upper race had small defects. It did have roller marks in it that i brused out with brass brush. Bike did sit for 20 years or so. The steering head has been apart before, the top nut was all scarred up from someone using screwdriver and hammer to remove and install. I made the 30 and 36mm tools and they worked beautifully.

Well if its just the race then im up an running by saturday otherwise it hurry up and waite for parts in the mail.

One big plus is im getting all kinds of knowledge that will be useful later on. Steering neck on my Sportster is due for service and it will be almost the same thing. same goes for the forks on it. Now i have ample experience on the honda and all will transfer to the Sportster. Now my Heritage doesnt need steering neck work ever if you keep it greased throught the zerk fitting which beggs a question. Why not install a zerk fitting on the steering neck and fill it with grease?

again Man, just my opinion.. i look at the neck like wheel bearings on the car, every so often you just need to remove them,clean all the old dirty grease from them,repack and re torque them and most likely they will never fail! but that is me.. some folks never do preventive service and never have a problem! not me!!
Glad to hear you aren't going to ride with unknown neck bearings!!(Ya know, even on my old flh, i still cleaned and repacked every few years)