restoring carb color

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinbashers

Reaction score
Well it was time to cleanup the carbs took oneapart put it in a bucket of Zep cleaner degreaser and it turned a black grey color is there a way to restore the original look.

Terry

You can try rubbing one of the parts with a rag soaked in vinegar. If it works then go with it. Not sure what's in that cleaner though so I'm guessing.

I've had very good luck over the years with Navel Jelly. I first used it on the carbs. of a 750 as an experiment and found that it cleaned and lightened them considerably. It seems to have a bleaching effect. I recently used it on the carb. bodies of my '76 after I got them back from a Pistol Pete rebuild. Although they were clean, they differently had an 'aged' look to them that I didn't want, especially after the cost of the rebuild. I did one carb. area at a time, kept the area wet and well coated and left it on each area for a few hours. To clean it off, I used a spray bottle with very hot water and Dawn detergent using a paint brush to break it down and get it out of the hard-to-reach areas. They came out looking new. I will add that I did not have to start with your problem i.e., a surface that had been chemically darkened. You may want to first try the above method by slabghost to remove the disscoloration. Vinegar is a mild acidic and it may work to remove it. Then, follow up with the Navel Jelly.

Naval Jelly is rust remover that can be bought nearly anywhere. There is also an acid sold to freshen up aluminum storm doors but I'd try that last and carefully.

What I did with mine is, I sandblasted the parts and then I painted the carbs.

Attachments

• 100_1377.jpg
    100_1377.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 312
  • 100_1378.jpg
    100_1378.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 309
The black one will probably need a media-blasting.
Oxidation, right? The aluminum has oxidized? A chemical won't do anything at this point, will it?
...a soft media, like baking soda.
Otherwise it's by hand with brushes and sponge-type abrasives.

There are several excellent aluminum polishes out there. Mothers brand and Meguires are both very nice.

flash2002":22gm7cqj said:
What I did with mine is, I sandblasted the parts and then I painted the carbs.

That is what I did with the carbs on my 82, sandblasted then dupli-color high heat aluminum then high heat clear coat. I put the bowls and caps on, plugged every opening and blasted. Then be sure to clean out every passage because the sand will get into places you think impossible. They still look nice after almost 3 years, don't have a picture. The intake runners I blasted then just clear coat, looks maybe better than the painted stuff.

I would not suggest PINE SOL.
The carbs on my 900 came soaked in pine sol and they turned black as night.
NASTY STUFF.Worst carb cleaning idea I ever saw.Took another set of carbs and an ultra sonic cleaner to remedy the mess.

Also,if you do use the PINE SOL make sure you remove all the metel parts as it will rust them quickly.

Navel Jelly is the best for whitening

Attachments

• parts 001.JPG
    parts 001.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 238
Tory":mtogwm1g said:
I would not suggest PINE SOL.
The carbs on my 900 came soaked in pine sol and they turned black as night.

Well I found out what you mean. I had cleaned a set of 1000 carbs in pine sol, turned out very nice. Then I did a set of 1100s, did a good job on those too, especially the internals where it counts. Then I did another set of 1100s and 1 of them turned black as coal, kind of pretty really but since the rest didn't turn out to match I guess I'll have to paint them, just a spare set of carb bodies though. I can't figure out why just 1 did that.

Yeah,that is odd that just one darkened.
I don't know how long the 900 carbs where soaking,but it destroyed anything steel.

Attachments

• parts 002.JPG
    parts 002.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 109