Return to Vintage wiring woes

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate L

Reaction score
My Bike Models
1979 Honda Goldwing GL1000
I purchased a 1979 GL1000 that was mutilated into a cafe racer. I'm returning it to a vintage look. I've seen many many wiring diagrams, and they don't match what I have. I'm not sure if I even have the stock wiring harness.
So in the meantime, I'm looking for information on how to read the wiring diagrams and what everything means so that I can do better testing and work with what I have.

Do you know of any good resources on learning to read a wiring diagram?

The photos are of my vintage handlebar switches. There's an after Market left hand switch still attached. that I have to connect the original to.

The right hand switch was stripped down to just 3 wires to connected to turn it over... it did run before, but now doesn't spark. I'm guessing it's one of the missing wires.

The Right Hand wires has a Yellow with red stripe. none of the wiring diagrams shows I should have this. I did find a yellow with red stripe on a GL600 wiring diagram.

Attachments

•  FROM RIGHT HAND SWITCH WIRING.jpg
    FROM RIGHT HAND SWITCH WIRING.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 10
  • FROM LEFT HAND SWITCH  WIRING.jpg
    FROM LEFT HAND SWITCH WIRING.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • Nate on Cafe Racer  as Purchased.jpg
    Nate on Cafe Racer as Purchased.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
  • return to vintage.jpg
    return to vintage.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
  • front end tore apart.jpg
    front end tore apart.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
I suggest you get a factory (oem) manual for your year, it will have the correct diagram. Then a book on basic electronics to learn the symbols. If any additions have been made to your harness, removing those first will help. No, you're not allowed to used "scotchloks!, get proper parts from www.vintageconnections.com.

Attachments

• Honda Wire Color Codes (rev. 2022).jpg
    Honda Wire Color Codes (rev. 2022).jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 0
I suggest you get a factory (oem) manual for your year, it will have the correct diagram. Then a book on basic electronics to learn the symbols. If any additions have been made to your harness, removing those first will help. No, you're not allowed to used "scotchloks!, get proper parts from www.vintageconnections.com.

The link to vintageconvections looks GREAT! Thank you so much!!!! I also found a link on Youtube to a video made back in the 80's or so on how to read a Honda wiring diagram!!

How to read Honda wiring diagrams part 1​

How to read Honda wire diagrams part 2​

BTW, there is one phase of the alternator (yellow) leads that goes to the left handlebar connector, then is just jumpered back (on NA models). This phase is used in Europe to power the headlight, I think. Adds ~2 meters and several connectors to that for NA models.

BTW, there is one phase of the alternator (yellow) leads that goes to the left handlebar connector, then is just jumpered back (on NA models). This phase is used in Europe to power the headlight, I think. Adds ~2 meters and several connectors to that for NA models.
I haven’t learned how to tell my exact model beyond GL1000.
According to the wiring diagram I have, the horn should have a yellow, but it has light green. So does my left wire harness from the handle. I’m guessing the light green is right.

I’m about a month away from connecting all the wires, so no rush at this point. Just learning before I dig in.

I haven’t learned how to tell my exact model beyond GL1000.
According to the wiring diagram I have, the horn should have a yellow, but it has light green. So does my left wire harness from the handle. I’m guessing the light green is right.

I’m about a month away from connecting all the wires, so no rush at this point. Just learning before I dig in.
Clean all wires back a few inches with alcohol to check their color. The horn should be light green as I remember. Also, make sure you use the Honda diagram - not one from Clymer, Chilton, or Haynes.

Clean all wires back a few inches with alcohol to check their color. The horn should be light green as I remember. Also, make sure you use the Honda diagram - not one from Clymer, Chilton, or Haynes.
I got the one recommended from this website for a 1978 -99 GL1000 - I have found the light green wire for the horn. There are a few inconsistencies between what I see and what the diagram says I should see. It's pretty close. I wish I could have one from Honda, but I am clueless as to where to find it in a quality digital format so I can zoom in. I'm not sure which manual to get. My father used Haynes for his 74 cb750.

Latest posts