sea foam the best product out there

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketman

Reaction score
well just to re cap i bought a 82 gl1100 asp 2 years ago with 17000 original km on it ,rebulit the carbs,used sea foam to help clean them ,had a problem with white smoke first on start up all year,some times a puff of blue too.i put haulf a bottle of sea foam in my oil towards the end of rideing season last sept. and changed the oil,fill the gas add sea foam ,let sit over winter in my heated shop to my suprise i fired it up last week no smoke at all,went 100 km ,took it out today with my wife on her 750 shadow we went 300 km and everytime i started up we looked no smoke at all i get 55 miles per gal and lots of power,i was going to change head gaskets and valve stem seals this spring but its cured now i just have to change change the timeing belts [gates belts] spark plugs and tune it up im pulling a tent trailer this year on a 10,000 km trip.i run sea foam in my gas all the time cant say enough for it,hope this helps some people out there worked for me but give it time to do its job safe rideing every one thanks for reading :thanks:

It didn't do as well for my 80. I removed the carbs and cleaned them and use ATF regularly now.

I use Sea Foam on a regular basis and boy what a difference it makes :music: :music: at least it feels like it to me :music: :music: :music:

I haven't had experience with Seafoam that justifies its high price.
Not saying it's bad just saying a good cleaning of the carbs and riding it has done more good.

I HAVE experienced immediate improvements running atf in the fuel though.
Smoother running and pick up a couple mpg.

Seafoam has naptha and for a carbon' d up bike probably cleans a bit of the carbon off giving a slightly improved performance. I like the pics of the insides of carbs after atf. I am running a strong mix of atf through my first tank this season. I'll probably pull them some time just to see if there's a noticeable difference in cleaning. I'm thinking atf right before an oil change might be helpful for stator windings as well.

I am a newby to Goldwings, and I read a lot here about Sea Foam and ATF. What is the advantage of using Sea Foam rather than ATF in the gas tank? What is the advantage of using ATF in the fuel take over Sea Foam?

seafoam is a strong cleaner and if just not clean totally out of carbs will hurt carbs its too harsh atf is safe to use under all conditions and if your bike runs good better start using it to keep it that way ...all kinds of debate out there ....im just posting what I use and why ....it's two different things really ...atf is used all the time as fuel and oldwing preserver ....seafoam is used as a tool to try and do something to fix something quickly ...atf dose its thing mildly and over time ...and keeps it that way

Regarding ATF in Gas - I'm on my fifth tank using 1.5 ounces ATF per gallon of gas purchased. This is a little short of the 8 ounces per tankful referred to in the "miles per gallon" thread.

I was getting 40 mpg on my GL 1100i prior to using the ATF as an additive; I see minimal change so far that can be directly attributed to the ATF.

My 1100 ran good before, and it still runs good. I have not experienced white (or black) exhaust smoke that was mentioned is some of the posts regarding this topic.

I am continuing to use the ATF to see if there are any long term effects. Let m roll, and be safe!

I was using 4oz. ATF.
I never saw any difference in mileage, but the bike ran noticeably smoother. I think it boosts octane a bit.
Adding ATF to the gas is certainly a good thing in my experience.

i use ATF in my GW and my escape i pick up 3 mpg in my little SUV and and varied mpg gains in my GW depending on riding conditions but knowing that i have a good cleaner in there is good piece of mind.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=80145#p80145:54hmuxpc said:
joedrum » Mon May 06, 2013 2:23 pm[/url]":54hmuxpc]
seafoam is a strong cleaner and if just not clean totally out of carbs will hurt carbs its too harsh atf is safe to use under all conditions and if your bike runs good better start using it to keep it that way ...all kinds of debate out there ....im just posting what I use and why ....it's two different things really ...atf is used all the time as fuel and oldwing preserver ....seafoam is used as a tool to try and do something to fix something quickly ...atf dose its thing mildly and over time ...and keeps it that way

Hadn't heard about the ATF but will try it. As far as the Sea Foam goes it will not ever hurt your carbs. It was originally designed to clean carbs back when they had frail materials for gaskets etc. and other cleaners were damaging them. I used it for years in my old two stroke outboards. From what I'm reading here it seems like ATF may get some results quicker and certainly cheaper. I have a Yamaha 650 in the shop I had the carbs apart twice and although they were better each time I just couldn't get the idle and just off idle right. Finally I just started adding the Sea Foam when I filled up and after about three tanks it just fired up one day smooth as silk. I also use it as a storage additive but do not put it in all the time except in the off season or when the bike sits for a time between rides.

yes I like it a lot ...its a blessing to stock carbs for sure ...I use 6-8 oz per tank I dont think I have ever measure it ..just guess what think for the amount of gas I put in ...try it don't be put off if it smokes a little on start up when you first start using it ...that usually stops once it gets cleaned up good ... most get better mpg and a little boost in power