single carb build

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coachdeez

Reaction score
I've undertook the job of converting my gl1100 to a single carb. I like Dan sourced a carb before I found Tom. I now have the same carb as Dan and need to know if I'm much better off returning it and getting the one from Tom. Or has Dan found the magic to getting the 740 working well. My family owns an auto parts store in Houston so the return is no problem. I love the info on this site but it seems to get lost in all the random directions threads seem to get pulled.

theres really no difference in the carbs ...the one I got that's like tom and dans was old and dirty .. cleaned up fine ...my 740 was the first one to work ...but there are sveral different carbs called 740s....the one I had was a 32-34...24-25 chokes...the one like dan has and tom sales is the 32-32 ....22-22 chokes ...the numbers are on the carb body ..under the electric choke deal ...22-22 is what you want

I ordered mine via the part # on the box in his pic. Guess its like Christmas, I hope I get the right one. I bought this bike with the carbs dissambled in a box. And after a lot of time and money there going in the sh*t can, so I'm looking for the simplest out of the box set up i can run.

I haven't had to do anything to tweak this carb other than the usual, remove the electric choke and plug a couple fittings.
It does seem to be somewhat of a crap shoot which jets you get though.
Mine came with a mix of auto and manual trans jets and the one joedrum just received has a missing jet.
I think for this reason I would suggest if your's doesn't have the right parts in it you might be better off getting Tom's carb for $40 more, also because his is new. The one I got was "reconditioned".

Once I get the bike running on the single carb running correctly, they'll belong to the first buyer I find.

Thanks for the really Dan. The carb I have coming is free no me, perks of owning a parts house i guess. That being said what are the appropriate jets and mods that would get me close. I would like to try to get the info on one thread on how to prep your 740 for the conversion.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=99221#p99221:3h7fspu1 said:
coachdeez » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:25 pm[/url]":3h7fspu1]
what are the appropriate jets and mods that would get me close. I would like to try to get the info on one thread on how to prep your 740 for the conversion.
i'd suggest changing the subject from 'single carb build' to

~ how to prep your 740 (maybe[single carb]here) for conversion

or

~ how to prep your 740 for conversion

If I had it to do all over again,

I Still would MUCH rather buy a NEW carb from TOM.

You get the carb BRAND NEW!!!

It is jetted properly, they run great right out of the Box.

Less Tuning, and dicking around with it means more riding.

When/If you do have problems then you are second guessing the rebuild, the jets, did the re-builder screw up the carb and just sent it out anyway

Or are the throttle shafts worn out

For only a few dollars more, it makes good cents$$ to go new, and properly jeted

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=99315#p99315:23ya1p6z said:
westgl » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:17 am[/url]":23ya1p6z]
If I had it to do all over again,

I Still would MUCH rather buy a NEW carb from TOM.

You get the carb BRAND NEW!!!

It is jetted properly, they run great right out of the Box.

Less Tuning, and dicking around with it means more riding.

When/If you do have problems then you are second guessing the rebuild, the jets, did the re-builder screw up the carb and just sent it out anyway

Or are the throttle shafts worn out
Agreed.
A NEW carb for under $100 is definitely worth it.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=99204#p99204:1c7zlx7r said:
coachdeez » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:24 pm[/url]":1c7zlx7r]
I've undertook the job of converting my gl1100 to a single carb. I like Dan sourced a carb before I found Tom. I now have the same carb as Dan and need to know if I'm much better off returning it and getting the one from Tom. Or has Dan found the magic to getting the 740 working well. My family owns an auto parts store in Houston so the return is no problem. I love the info on this site but it seems to get lost in all the random directions threads seem to get pulled.
from what i've seen so far. the tom carb is the quickest route to a bolt on ready to go progressive carb

with plenty of available info

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=99208#p99208:1mgbboqi said:
coachdeez » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:53 pm[/url]":1mgbboqi]
I'm looking for the simplest out of the box set up i can run.
depends if you wanna go single barrel or dual progressive, then cost can come into it,

i've only seen a working auto choke on a single barrel option, haven't seen a working choke, or even a good to go manual choke on a dual progressive, tho apparently not a huge issue, as far as cold starts go in reasonable weather