smoking

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ludwig":fudlcfw0 said:
i did just rebuild the carbs myself something i have never done before.the floats are probably not right so i will check them a couple more times.i will get back to it after the holidays.thank you all for your help and advice.i sure could use some of that good luck for Christmas HO HO HO
Take a look at my old thread on my carbs:

viewtopic.php?p=2784#p2784

ludwig":2pr9v1aq said:
i was having doubts about it too.the only reason i suspected the valves is because it didn't smoke like that before they were put in.but i'm wondering if i'm even on the right track.if it were the rings would it smoke constantly?because like i said it wouldn't smoke on the center stand, only after its moving it would start smoking.after parking for 20 minutes on center stand and restarting it would run strong and clean.i checked the floats and they are all the same at 15.5 mm.

Contrary to popular belief it seems, smoke on start up does not come from the valve seals, it comes from residual oil in the cylinders seeping past the rings when on the side stand and the left cylinders sloping downward. The oil level is no where near high enough to get in through the valve seals, it won't even run out the starter hole and how much lower than the valves is that? Also when you redo the heads and not the lower end of an older engine it makes the weakness in the rings show up, seen it happen many times.

hmmm daves making some good points...but id still put it together and run it it awhile its liable to get better ...id bench test the carbs for flow and stop flow test them ....go at it again ..check ignition spark maybe redo ends

well if it is the rings then i guess i will have to sell it.i don't have the right tools or space to pull the engine so it looks like i will have to decide what to do after i get it all back together.

Mc govern,that makes alot of sense.i am going to try what you said about filling them with fuel and turning them.after looking at the floats again,they measure ok ,a couple were off,but im in no hurry to get it right.as far as doing my valves again,im glad i decided to do it,because i did not have the right parts the first time and went with the cheap parts.

I had the same situation on my other wing. It is a problem that is common on these bikes. Honda even put out a notice to owners when these bikes were first build about how oil seeps past rings when sitting on side stand.
The oil then leaks into the combustion chamber and burns away after a while.
Put on center stand when cold and stored for a while.

I try and shut mine off and keep the bike straight up while I take off my helmet and gloves. If it stays upright for sixty seconds or so before putting it on the sidestand , it seldom smokes. Theory is that the oil needs a little time to drain out of the heads and the undersides of the pistons. When the motor is warm, it doesn't take long and it's mostly in the crankcase. If you put it on the side stand immediately or while running, the oil can sit in the cylinder wall of a piston anywhere off the bottom of the stroke. If the rings happen to line up their gaps, oil gets in the combustion chamber easily following gravity's direction. Next startup is smokey.