Something is trying to tell me something,

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backlander

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last week as I reported on Suzy Q, there was an issue with the rear caliper making noise. Replaced the pin and installed a little thin piece of metal called a "retainer" between the top of the caliper and the bracket, the retainer straddles the rotor. I call them anti rattle springs. Mine was missing before the tear down. So the next day I was going to take her for a test to see if this fixed the noise problem. Turned on the key, and, blank LCD dash, nothing, dead as door nail. I'm thinking I probably left the radio playing on accessory so I checked the battery with meter. 0-volts. Hooked up the tender, left on for 24 hours, 7.3 volts, left on for 24 more hours, 7.3 volts. Ok, battery shot, three years old, no big deal. Put another battery in, Suzy fires right up. I try to push her backwards out of my carport but she don't want to leave, I'm thinking brake caliper stuck, (just rebuilt) and then I saw why, brand new tire, 150 miles on it, flatter than a flitter. I just stood there looking at it, thinking about having to take everything apart that I just recently spent about four days putting back together, bags, wrap around bumper and lights, hitch, caliper, axle. I'm about ready to get naked. This sucks.

Fill the tire and look for leaks. Check the bead area with real soapy water. Maybe it's just a slow leak at the bead that will seat still.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=88910#p88910:3493q7mq said:
slabghost » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:33 pm[/url]":3493q7mq]Fill the tire and look for leaks. Check the bead area with real soapy water. Maybe it's just a slow leak at the bead that will seat still.

Do not use soap as a lubricant when fitting tyres. It contains Hydrogen Peroxide ( might be wrong - not sure ) but anyway it contains a solution that eats aluminum and could be the cause of leakage at bead. Sorry for your bad luck but sometimes shit seems to happen by the bucket full .

I was hoping for leaky valve core or not seated on rim but NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, brand new dadblamed tire with a nail in it. Now I got to decide what to do :headscratch: . Plug it, patch it or chunk it. Holy CRAPOLA!!!!!!! :rant: :rant: :head bang: :Awe: Think I'll go talk to my tire man Monday. It's a very small nail.
IMG02175-20130713-1139.jpg
IMG02174-20130713-1137.jpg

Bummer ..Sorry to hear about the trouble. The thing about a tender is(i have heard) it wont charge a battery well from a dead 0 , I`m pretty sure it is just for maintaining a 12V battery while it sits, unless by tender you mean a 2 amp or better.
But I admit I haven't used my tender for anything but maintaining.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=88928#p88928:2xc7i51z said:
zman » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:12 am[/url]":2xc7i51z]Bummer ..Sorry to hear about the trouble. The thing about a tender is(i have heard) it wont charge a battery well from a dead 0 , I`m pretty sure it is just for maintaining a 12V battery while it sits, unless by tender you mean a 2 amp or better.
But I admit I haven't used my tender for anything but maintaining.
I've read the same.

I've also had batteries get drained way down like that and never come back or if they did the capacity was greatly reduced.

My guess is you have 1 or 2 bad cells but I'd try putting it on a 2 or even 6 amp amp charger for a few hours an see what you get. If for nothing more than reference.

I don't know what to do at this point, having planned to make the trip to joe's on this bike and all. I can't use the sealer and balance liquid in it with a plug because I have balance beads in it and they would probably clump together giving me a huge mess to deal with, if I break it down and patch, which is probably the best thing to do, I have to deal with having to capture those beads for reuse. I told myself last week that after the ordeal I went thru fitting all that dresser stuff back on it, if I had a flat I would sell it as is to someone and they could deal with it. I'll most likely to wake up with a better attitude tomorrow, my head's just sore from banging it up against the wall. :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: I got a small charger I will try the old battery on and see what it does. I was planning on putting in a new battery for the trip anyway and carry the spare I used on Suzy so we will see.

Even if you can't reclaim the beads it's not like the tire MUST be balanced.
I've ridden plenty never having balanced tires.
Could also have the tire guy do an old fashioned spin balance.

Some shops have the plugs with inside patches. So tire doesn't need removed. I doubt that would cause the dyna beads to clump.

Thanks to all, I decided I'm going with the STOP-n-Go Patch Plug. I did some research on it and watched a video of the system and I'm going to try it. If it works, the kit with the tools is around 40.00 dollars and repairs 14 flats, with extra plugs @ 7.50 for 25 more. If I take everything off the bike, have it fixed at a shop, rebalance it I figure my cost would be around 35.00 dollars to fix one tire and then I'd still have to put the bike back together. If it were the front tire, I'd replace the tire.

I know it sounds like overkill but with my health conditions I can't afford to be stranded on the side of the highway tearing the ass end off an Aspy. I also will have an extra front and rear tire I just took off this bike that has never been patched or plugged that will be in my little trailer.